I am a nomad. I have an Airstream trailer that i tow with my 4 runner. I travel coast to coast.

Default Lake Michigan Circumnavigation!

Hey all.

I am in Chicago and always see signs for "Lake Michigan Circle Tour" when I am driving on Lake Shore Drive. Was just wondering if anyone has tried the trip and what the experience was like. I bet it would be amazing to see just what role this big blue lake has had on different communities in Michigan, Illinois and Indiana?

Any comments feedback, suggestions appreciated.

Peace All.
    Phishvoyager.

Default I Wish I Could Come

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forum.

I haven't driven the whole thing, but I've done considerable portions of the Wisconsin and UP lake shores and You're in for a treat, especially since you're coming at it with a great attitude. A few places that I'd recommend for either their scenic beauty or their bearing on your quest include:

The Circle Tour Website
    Door County, WI
    Peshtigo, WI - Site of a fire on the same night as, but even bigger than, the Great Chicago fire (of Mrs. O'Leary's cow fame)
    Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore (OK - technically, this is Lake Superior.)
    The Locks and Museums of Sault Ste. Marie, MI (and this is Lakes Superior and Huron.)
    The historic sites of Mackinac, MI
    Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore

Those should do for starters, and offer enough of an incentive to continue your exploration.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 05-15-2006 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Added another link

I am a nomad. I have an Airstream trailer that i tow with my 4 runner. I travel coast to coast.

Default Awesome.

Thanks so much for the awesome info and friendly welcome. Was actually just researching the trip myself and I can't wait to check out your links. I was thinking of seeing how the UP treats me as I hear its beautiful. Very rural, picturesque and serene... Oh my I can't wait!

Thanks again.

After i posted I noticed that there were already posts regarding the Circle Tour... my bad.

PhishVoyager.

Default At least you did notice!

Quote Originally Posted by Phishvoyager
    After i posted I noticed that there were already posts regarding the Circle Tour... my bad.
    Yes, but you did notice -- A common aspect of all moderated forums is that the moderators tend to answer similar queries over and over. If you were to look at the threads asking about the route between San Francisco -- Yosemite -- Las Vegas, you would find about 500 different posts with similar comments and routing suggestions.

There is an excellent book about unusual stuff found in northwest Indiana that you might find helpful in your circumnavigation of the lake. And you can usually find similar cool ideas on the bottom of each page of this Forum.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-15-2006 at 10:17 AM. Reason: oops, I used the wrong adverb!