1. Default Here's my roadtrip outline: Would love feedback

Hi everyone. I just discovered this forum and it looks to be a great resource. I'm planning a 3-week long road trip for the last 3 weeks of June, with twin goals of staying with lots of friends and family along the way and seeing some places and cities that I've never been to before. I've got the time (I'm taking this summer off before starting grad school in the fall), the cash, and the spirit, so I'm taking the plunge. Here is the rough itinerary (none of this is set in stone- this is just what I've come up with so far: suggestions very welcome). Also, needless to say, if I'm staying in a city for more than a day, it means I've got friends/family there and don't have to worry about motel costs or finding things to do (since they'll be able to show me around).

Day 1: Dallas, TX to Van Horn, TX
    Day 2: Van Horn, TX to Benson, AZ
    Day 3: Benson, AZ to San Diego, CA
    Day 4: San Diego
    Day 5: San Diego
    Day 6: San Diego to Pasadena
    Day 7: Pasadena
    Day 8: Pasadena
    Day 9: Pasadena to Hollywood (backtracking, I know, but I've got a friend there with whom it would be fun to party on a Friday night)
    Day 10: Hollywood to Paso Robles, CA, via Santa Barbara [ie, the scenic route]
    Day 11: Paso Robles, CA to San Francisco
    Day 12: San Francisco
    Day 13: San Francisco
    Day 14: San Francisco to CA/Oregon border**
    Day 15: CA/OR border to Portland, OR
    Day 16: Portland
    Day 17: Portland
    Day 18: Portland to Seattle
    Day 19: Seattle
    Day 20: Seattle
    Days 21-25: Seattle to Dallas**

Obviously, the two starred areas are where I need help. First, getting from San Francisco to Portland--I'm giving myself two days to do that, and would ideally like to visit a winery somewhere in California before crossing over into OR. Not sure about where to stay on that overnight.

Also, the trip back. I should note that I'll have a driving companion from Dallas to San Diego to Pasadena, and I'll also have a companion on the Portland to Seattle to Dallas portion. From LA to Portland I'll be alone, which is why I tried to space it out a bit more.

So, from Seattle to Dallas, with a companion, giving ourselves 5-6 days. We're not overly concerned with stopping at state parks or landmarks; we're more the types to appreciate the scenery from the car and find a nice town to crash in for the night. I was thinking: Seattle -> Boise -> SLC -> Cheyenne -> Pueblo -> Amarillo -> Dallas. According to Google maps that's a 36.5 hour drive, but given normal conditions, let's assume 45 or so. 9 hours a day. Doable? Or is this wishful thinking?

Thanks for reading this far!

Adrienne

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Sounds great

Welcome to the Forum Adrock47!

From the looks of it, you've got your trip all planned out. You seem to have everything well timed.

2 days from SF to Portland should be fine. It does'nt give you too much time to stop and smell the roses, but it does allow you to venture around some. I've driven from Washington State down that way and usually end up stopping at either Yreka or Redding, CA, so you should be able to atleast get to Ashland or Medford, Oregon, possibly Salem if you don't mind spending a few more hours behind the wheel.

I say its a well planned, tighly packed trip. Not much room for error, but of course this is coming from someone who gives 2 days to get to pretty much anywhere in the Western US from Phoenix!

Hope to hear it all goes well!
    -Brad

Default Bars are better in Pasadena

Quote Originally Posted by adrock47
    Day 8: Pasadena
    Day 9: Pasadena to Hollywood (backtracking, I know, but I've got a friend there with whom it would be fun to party on a Friday night)
    Actually, I think your friend will have more fun at the bars in Pasadena, that in Hollywood!
    Day 10: Hollywood to Paso Robles, CA, via Santa Barbara [ie, the scenic route]
    Do you have time to do the coastal road? This is a perfect time to drive SR-1 (Pacific Coast Highway) -- stay overnight at Cayucos.
    Day 14: San Francisco to CA/Oregon border**
    This is a long, long, long day -- unless you use I-5!
    Day 15: CA/OR border to Portland, OR
    Another killer day.
    I was thinking: Seattle -> Boise -> SLC -> Cheyenne -> Pueblo -> Amarillo -> Dallas.
    Let's see, that is about 2125 miles and your time estimate looks reasonable -- it looks like you are mostly using I-84, but I am not sure why you are dropping all the way to SLC if you want to go to Cheyenne. Were these stops intended or how did you choose them. Actually, I would recommend that if you are going to SLC that you head on down to Provo and take US-6 over the pass down to I-70 and and then at Grand Junction use US-50 over to Pueblo.

Mark

4. Default

Do you have time to do the coastal road? This is a perfect time to drive SR-1 (Pacific Coast Highway) -- stay overnight at Cayucos.
    I think I do have time to do SR-1, as long as I leave LA at a reasonable morning hour. But I'd really like to stay in Paso Robles- I've heard good things! And it has lots of wineries convenient to the area. I guess I need to prioritize which sections of my California driving should be done on highway 1 and which sections should be done in inner highways.

Let's see, that is about 2125 miles and your time estimate looks reasonable -- it looks like you are mostly using I-84, but I am not sure why you are dropping all the way to SLC if you want to go to Cheyenne. Were these stops intended or how did you choose them. Actually, I would recommend that if you are going to SLC that you head on down to Provo and take US-6 over the pass down to I-70 and and then at Grand Junction use US-50 over to Pueblo.
    I didn't really pick those cities for any specific reason- I wanted to cut through Utah a bit but have heard that SLC isn't the most happenin' place for an overnight stay. I'll do some reconfiguring once I consult with my driving partner.

Thanks for the help!

Default SLC -- A Happenin' Place

Quote Originally Posted by adrock47
    I wanted to cut through Utah a bit but have heard that SLC isn't the most happenin' place for an overnight stay
    You might be relying on old information.... SLC was one of the first major cities to put in fiber optics, and as a result, quickly became a mecca for electronic developers --- it is far more cosmopolitan than many cities in the west. True, there is still a good deal of influence by the Mormon Church -- but the night scene is still hopping, if you know where to look.

Mark