1. Default I'm just a beginner

I'm 17...I'm trying to plan a "road trip" for this summer... Not so much a "go where the road takes me" type...We have a destination, and are not looking at very many stops along the way... if we can, I'd like to drive non-stop, changing drivers every few hours.

My problem is, I'm trying to plan a budget right now... I have most things figured out, but I'm wondering if there are unforseen things i'm not thinking of. This is my first solo road trip...so if you have any suggestions on things to make sure to get/do...

Here's what i've already thought of:
    Breakfast/snack supplies (inc. Drinks)
    Music/books/games
    Gas (any suggestions on how to save $$ on this!?)

Now there's one other thing...I'm going to take my car to the garage and have it fixed up...is there anything specific I should have them check and/or fix? Thanks soo much for your help!

Default A solo trip with three people?

Quote Originally Posted by ra.wanda
    if we can, I'd like to drive non-stop, changing drivers every few hours.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Non-stop trips, even for experienced drivers are a little dangerous, because of the cumulative effect of not sleeping enough. When I was in college, I and another driver drove non-stop from LA to Washington DC -- the problem was that neither of us had ever been east of the Mississipi River before and so we started staying awake and sightseeing when the "off" driver should have been sleeping. I wouldn't recommend it as a method. If you really need to do a speed run here are some tips. Here are some tips about eating well on the road, and here are some more tips about doing it cheaply.

One question -- how can this be a SOLO ROADTRIP when there are three people going? One thing all three of you should do is to take our roadtrip compatibility quiz and discuss the ramifications of the results.
    Gas (any suggestions on how to save $$ on this!?)
    That is simple -- don't drive... for more practical ideas -- there are some really good tips here.

Happy Planning!

Mark

3. Default I'm just a beginner

This summer i'd like to take a trip from my hometown in Michigan to a small town in Florida... Basically...i was wondering if anyone can give me ideas to do in a new small town. I've already checked, and there arn't any near-by festivals or celebrations.
    There will be myself and 2 friends, plus a couple people i know in florida. So do you know where we can find things to do...as cheap as possible! We have a limited budget...and we're not looking for extravagence...just a good time.

Also...are there any unforseen costs we're not thinking of? We have gas, hotel, food, and a small emergency fund...what else should we plan for? thanks so much for your help!

Default You have already made some good steps

This summer i'd like to take a trip from my hometown in Michigan to a small town in Florida... Basically...i was wondering if anyone can give me ideas to do in a new small town.
    Go online and see if you can find an online version of the local newspaper. Just about every small town in America has a "music in the park" type program and since they are for locals -- they are rarely listed on the Web. Same thing for the local parks and recreation department -- Often times there are a bunch of free or low-cost programs developed for residents and those in-town at the time of a visit.
    Also...are there any unforseen costs we're not thinking of? We have gas, hotel, food, and a small emergency fund...what else should we plan for? thanks so much for your help!
    A "fun fund" to cover the costs of restaurants, concerts, canoe rentals, etc. Are you still listed under your parent's medical insurance? If not, you will want to ensure that you have some form of medical insurance in case something untoward happens. Also you should include $$ in that emergency fund for tire repairs and basic automotive costs beyond fuel and oil.

Other than that, you should be in good shape!

Mark

Default Fun in a small town

Unless, you're planning a visit to a town the size of Goodwill, LA (can't even send mail there - it goes to Oak Grove), there should be a town hall or perhaps a visitor center with lots of information about activities. Often times local churches will put on festivals and/or fairs. Are you aiming for central Florida, or somewhere along the coast. That will also make a difference in activities. Closer to the coast will probably still be touristy enough to have quite a few activities.

Have Fun!

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Maintence Inspections

Now there's one other thing...I'm going to take my car to the garage and have it fixed up...is there anything specific I should have them check and/or fix? Thanks soo much for your help!
    Take your vehicle in for its standard lube and oil, even if its not quite yet time. While there, tell the technician that you're going to be taking the vehicle on a trip and you want to do a maintenence and safety inspection. They'll take a look at the vehicle and recommend based on what they find. If something looks like it might be needing repair soon, they'll tell you that it should be replaced before you leave.

If you or your parents are members of AAA, check to see if your local club offers free Maintenence/Safety inspection with the purchase of a service at a local AAA Approved Auto Repair shop. This might save you some money.