1. Default San Francisco to Portland and back. Questions...

My wife and I are planning a driving trip from San Francisco to Portland at the end of May. On the way there we’re going Hwy 5, but on the way back we want to cut over to the coast and take Hwy 1/101 to check out the Oregon coast line as well as the Nor Cali coast line.

Question is… How windy is the road? Is it consistently *car sick* twisty? Or is it manageable? The other questions are… How much more time should be allocate for that part of the trip? Are there place to stop and rest? Motels?

Cheers

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default From what I've heard

The twists and turns should be managable... from what I've heard. Unfortuately I've been either short on time or my destination is a point too far east of the coast to make it worthwhile. You should have no problem.

Default It is a gray area

Quote Originally Posted by Andre
    Question is… How windy is the road? Is it consistently *car sick* twisty? Or is it manageable?
    I would have to give a you a mixed response. I used to love twisty, mountain roads -- but ever since I have had a lens replaced in my eye, I find tight cornering -- a tad less fun. That being said, the section between Fort Bragg and the US-101 is very, very twisty and if you have any issues with car sickness -- it is going to be long couple of hours.
    The other questions are… How much more time should be allocate for that part of the trip?
    It is much slower going, there is so much to see and do on the coast -- If you can allocate three days, you will not be bored.
    Are there place to stop and rest? Motels?
    Lots and lots of places to rest and wander. Plus, if you have the budget -- one of my all-time inns can be found in Mendocino.

Mark

4. Default

Thanks for the answers. One of the reasons we want to take the scenic route back is because we do want to end up in Mendocino, we have a wedding to attend there.

The other thing I didn’t mention is that we’re traveling with a 17-month old. Se we are planning lots of stops along the way. We figured we can make it to Portland in 2 days, spend a few days in Portland, then Portland to Mendocino in 3 days (taking in consideration the windy roads and the kid). Or should I allocate 4 days for the Portland to Mendocino leg of the trip?

Default Seems reasonable to me

Quote Originally Posted by Andre
    We figured we can make it to Portland in 2 days, spend a few days in Portland, then Portland to Mendocino in 3 days (taking in consideration the windy roads and the kid). Or should I allocate 4 days for the Portland to Mendocino leg of the trip?
    Well, using I-5 from the outbound leg, you can cover a similar distance in an easy two days, but I would allow four days to cover that same distance coming down the coast. There is so much to see as you make your way south.

Mark

Default The twistiness of the I-5

My family drove from southern California to Washington state and back four years ago. As I remember, the I-5 is a pretty straight freeway once you're out of LA. I'll defer to the Editor on the 101.

Default 2 days up/4-6 days back

You can easily do the I-5 leg in 2 days. I've done it in one very long day a few times. 2 days should allow ample time to make the trip and still make baby stops when you need to.

I LOVE the twisty bits on the coastal highway. The curves on the Oregon Coast aren't bad for the most part. In most places, the curves are kinda lazy curves vs. tight ones, if that makes sense. Once you get into the section north of San Francisco, as The Editor mentioned, they do get much more twisty and more challenging. I love it, too. But you want to be fairly well rested before taking on this part of the road. I have no problems with car sickness....I can ride roller-coasters for hours...so, if this is a problem for you, take my opinion with a grain of salt.

You can actually drive that coastal route in 2 days but there is so much to see and do that I would recommend, at minimum 3 days. Preferably 4-6 days.

On the part of the coastal drive from the northern tip of Oregon to about Eureka, there are plenty of places to stop and rest. Lots of scenic view points, beach approaches, parks, etc. And you shouldn't have too much problem finding lodging and good places to eat. It's been a few years since I've done it, but I recall the stretch from south of Eureka into San Francisco was a bit more sparse with lodging and restaurants. But you shouldn't need to stop for the night on that stretch anyway. Just make sure you have good snacks, etc. in a cooler if you get hungry and you'll be fine.

8. Default new traveler, similar trip

i'm doing a road trip. it's sort of my first time. i'm going to do portland to LA, with a stop in San Fran. I should have only 8-9 days, and would like some time in all three places. Is this possible? What are my best options for planning and doing something like this??

also, i'm only 24 and will need to rent a car, so i'm wondering how much of a problem that might be, either in difficulty or finances.

and i'm trying to make this as cheap a trip as possible, although i realize that with airfare and gas prices, that won't be the easiest thing...
    Last edited by akire493; 04-25-2006 at 01:08 PM.

Default Choices are somewhat limited

Quote Originally Posted by akire493
    i'm doing a road trip. it's sort of my first time.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! You will find lots of information about such a trip on this board and even in this same thread (above).
    also, i'm only 24 and will need to rent a car, so i'm wondering how much of a problem that might be, either in difficulty or finances.
    There are only a couple of rental car companies that will rent to under-25 years old drivers -- one is reputed to be Enterprise and others can be found by looking through the "Gear Up" section. It will be expensive and have restrictions. Read these tips for "Cheap Roadtrips" and let us know how we can help you further.

Mark