1. Default From Vegas to Michigan

We are planning on driving from Las Vegas to Michigan the 1st of May. Which to take? The northern route either thru Salt Lake City up to Wyoming then to Nebraska, Iowa and on to Michigan, or take Vegas to Denver and then to Nebraska, Iowa and on to Michigan or

the Southern route - Vegas to Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Misouri, Indianda and Michigan. Which route in the spring is better to take to avoid most severe storms? I was leaning to the Northern route, but not too sure? Anyone have any experience with this?

Has anyone taken the 1st route and if so is there many towns along the way or is it wide open territory, especially in Wyoming, Nebraska, and Iowa.
    Thanks
    Last edited by whichwanda; 04-15-2006 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Threads for same trip merged

Default Whither the Weather?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forum.

One can't predict the weather far enough out to be useful in long term trip planning such as you want to do. You'll start to get your first inkling of what it will be like about a week before you leave, but will only get reliable forecasts starting a day or two before the actual time. So you won't have an accurate forecast of the weather at the end of your trip even when you're on the road, and will only have a rough idea of what the weather will be like for the middle of the trip when you start out. What you should do, then, is pick the route that appeals to you for other reasons: miles involved, scenery, places to stop along the way, etc., and build in enough flexibility that you can change your itinerary if the need arises. Then keep an eye on the changing forecast as you go. I've driven each of the general routes you propose, and for my money, I'd head generally through southern Utah and Colorado with as much wandering around as time permitted. In the interests of full disclosure, you should note that on my first trip to this area (in Spring), I got snowed in for a day in Cortez, CO. Such is life.

AZBuck

3. Default Taking the Southern Route

We decided that the weather is crap shoot and are taking the Southern route as going thru Nebraska and Iowa sounds boring. Did not hear how Wyoming is but I think that we will go thru Az, NM, TX, OK, MO, IND and Mich.
    We came out here that way and enjoyed the drive.
    Wanda