Default Estes Park thru Amarillo TX...2006

Hello,

I'm new to the site. I will be traveling with my 15 yr old son, next June 2006 from Spencerport, NY to Estes Park CO. We have our agenda planned to Colorado. We would like to take a southern route to visit my sister in Raleigh NC via Route 40. I'm just unsure of any "must see" attractions that would interest us via Route 40....Amarillo, Oklahoma, Arkansas....etc. Any suggestions not far off 40 would be appreciated. We have a full week to enjoy from Colorado to NC. Thanks!

Default Some of famous Route 66

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerportNY
    I'm new to the site. I will be traveling with my 15 yr old son, next June 2006 from Spencerport, NY to Estes Park CO. We would like to take a southern route to visit my sister in Raleigh NC via Route 40. I'm just unsure of any "must see" attractions that would interest us via Route 40....Amarillo, Oklahoma, Arkansas....etc.
    Welcome to the Forum. Be sure to look at the similar threads listed below.

A big hit might be to take the steam train from Durango on your way south and the area around Ouray is pretty amazing too.

Once you reach I-40, this section of roadway closely follows much of Route 66 and Guy's site is the best we have ever found for Route 66 information.

If your son likes music -- Mountain View Arkansas is where I would stop. It is not MTV, but still a pretty organic way of experiencing music.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 07-30-2005 at 09:36 PM.

Default Thank You

Thanks for your info. The railroad looks like our next stop! We'll probably be there on July 1 of 2006. Would anyone know how avaliable tickets would be at that time of year? I'm sure the first week of July is busy.

Thanks!

Tom

Default Son and Dad Summer Road Trip

Hi,

My son and I are planning a trip from Spencerport Ny..west... to Mt. Rushmore, then to Estes Park, and down to Durango for the train
    ride on July 2. Then we head to Grand Canyon AZ for a couple days.
    Our return trip will be on RTE 40 back to NY. Was wondering if there
    are any other spots to see or visit on the return trip thru NM, TX, OK,
    AR. We plan on visting Graceland and maybe Lynchburg TN. WE both don't drink Jack Daniels but would like to see how it's made! Our last part of our
    journey will be tours of Bristol Motor Speedway and Martinsville VA. Our last day and nite will be in Gettysburg PA. Thanks if you can help.

Tom and Shawn

Default Nice to see it is going to happen!

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerportNY
    Was wondering if there
    are any other spots to see or visit on the return trip thru NM, TX, OK,
    AR.
    Nice to see that your trip that you starting planning last summer is still on the books! Taos and the mountains to the north of town are beautiful to drive through. In fact all of US-64 through the northern part of New Mexico is a very scenic area. In Arkansas, I would suggest getting the "treatment" at Hot Springs National Historical Park.
    We plan on visting Graceland and maybe Lynchburg TN. WE both don't drink Jack Daniels but would like to see how it's made!
    You are going to enjoy that tour -- it really is fun and the factory is only about two steps removed from a moonshine operation.

Mark