Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cotswolds - UK

Default Cotswolds - UK

My wife and I will be travelling in the Cotswolds later this Spring and would appreciate any suggestions or comments from the many British contributors to this forum. We have taken a self-catering cottage in Burford from May 27th to June 3rd. We are aware that those dates include the Spring Bank Holiday, but we have no choice. So we're especially looking for ways to avoid the crowds and yet still experience the beauty for which that area is known. Already on our list of things we must see are Avebury, Blenheim Palace and Ann Hathaway's Cottage in Stratford. Any hints on when the best time to see those would be would be great. Also, if you know of any particularly nice gardens, shorter country walks, towns that won't be wall-to-wall busses, or less-than-expensive restaurants, that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

AZBuck

I'm not a local by any means but I have spent several evenings in Cheltenham which is just along the road and I can highly recommend the bars, cafes and restaurants there. Burford itself is a charming place and, if the sun is out, you might enjoy an afternoon at Bourton-On-The-Water.

Found this link which has a little bit of info about Bourton.

A little something on the bars and restaurants in Cheltenham if you fancied an evening out (take a cab and head for Montpellier)

And finally some info on Cheltenham itself. This is a nice Regency style town which doesnt seem to suffer with huge crowds which is something that cannot be said for Oxford, sadly, that town is an absolute nightmare!

Default The More the Merrier

Craig, thanks for the links. As it happens, one of my colleagues at work went to grammer school in Stratford (and was back relatively recently) and says he'll also have some suggestions. Still, if anyone else has thoughts on this, I'd greatly appreciate them.

AZBuck

roadtripper 0006 Guest

Default Cotswolds

Hi there - In reply to your e.mail check out Cirencester - great if you like Roman history and Rodmarton Manor and Gardens is nice. Cheltenham and Gloucester will be very very busy cos the kids are on holiday that week. Try Stow-on-the-Wold for a pretty village which will be quieter and if you have time drive through the Forest of Dean for great scenery. Your National Parks are just awesome - we don't really have anything to compare in England. Have fun.

Iris

Default Scenic Drive

Thanks, Iris. The drive through the Forest of Dean sounds particularly intriguing, and gives me just the excuse I need for a daytrip to Wales!

7. Default

Bath has some interesting history, but it will get busy during the bank holiday weekend. The scenery around Cirencester and Stroud is gorgeous, and would make for a great cycle ride if you can find a cycle hire company. http://www.noahsark.co.uk/ are a good cycle shop around that way, and would be able to point you in the direction of a hire shop.

Hi,

I am obviously not from there but the places mentioned, beautiful,
    Stow-on-the-wold, Bourton-on-the-water, not to be missed, Stratford and Anne Hathaways cottage although probably busy is also not to be missed quite easy (well, from my point of view) to get around on foot. Avebury, Cirencester, ahh the memories, loved them all especially Blenheim Palace.
    And I loooove the countryside. I've probably not been much help at all other than to confirm that these places are terrific.

I've been to the Cotswolds a few times, but only as a kid, which means I don't remember much about the specifics, but I do remember it being a very pretty corner of the world. I'll try to get my parents to remember where we went and what we did, and post anything that seems potentially suitable.

I have been to Tewkesbury today. It rained. A lot. Just something to cheer you up ;)