Thread: new tripper!

1. Default new tripper!

My husband and I are thinking of planning a road trip next spring. With a whole year to plan, I'm sure we'll be well prepared. We will be starting in Salt Lake City, but don't know where we would like to go. Given that there is so much to see, and that what anyone would like to see is personal preference, does anyone have any suggestions? This is our first road trip, so we are looking for a great adventure together. Probably about 8 days. How far would you suggest a days travel would be?
    I appreciate all the help those of you who are experienced could give!

Default Your Own Personal Adventure

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forum.

Quote Originally Posted by bsmak
    How far would you suggest a days travel would be?
    This is entirely your choice. If all you are doing on a given day is driving and watching the world go by the windshield, then 500 or so miles can be done fairly comfortably with a couple of drivers. If you're going to be stopping to smell the roses along the way, you may want to limit your daily expectations to 350 miles or a little bit more. It's really up to you. And you can mix days that are more about driving with days that are more about hiking or sightseeing or relaxing.

Quote Originally Posted by bsmak
    We will be starting in Salt Lake City, but don't know where we would like to go. Given that there is so much to see, and that what anyone would like to see is personal preference, does anyone have any suggestions?
    With 8 days, you can get pretty far and see quite a bit. Let me offer four basic itineraries with the clear understanding that you could easily spend an entire week at any one of the locations included in any of the four!

1) Grand Tetons National Park - Yellowstone National Park - Glacier National Park - Idaho

2) Lake Tahoe - San Francisco - Big Sur - Death Valley National Park

3) Zion National Park - Las Vegas - Grand Canyon National Park - Arches National Park

4) Rocky Mountain National Park - Boulder and Denver - Mesa Verde National Park - Monument Valley

Any one of those would make a great first RoadTrip and a great adventure, and are meant simply to demonstrate what incredible locations are within a week of your home. Hope they give you some ideas.

AZBuck

3. Default

You mention spring, that's a 3 month period from late March till late June. If you are thinking the same time next year which will be late March thru April, then some of the places that AZBuck mentioned won't be possible. Most of the roads into Yellowstone, the Going to the Sun road in Glacker, Tioga Pass in Yosemite will NOT be open. Early spring might not be a good time to be crossing Nevada...they do get snow.

What month are you thinking about taking this trip or is it open? Can you go as late as the end of May, early June? If so, then you will have a bigger selection of places to go. What month were you hoping to take this trip? Have you seen the sites of Utah?

Utahtea

Default quite true

I agree. Almost all the places in the itenary will be good to visit mid May or later... Considering the snow this year, I doubt Tioaga pass to be open as usual.

I have visited most of the places and Itenary 1 is my personal fav.
    Yellowstone is a must see. Waterfalls, geysers, scenic drive(beartooth pass) --what does it not have?

You have time. Take your time in planning.

Good luck!

Cool

5. Default

thaks for the help. OUr time frame is pretty open, I just didn't want to end up driving in the desert in the summer or end up in a snow storm. So mid to late spring is what we are looking at. Sounds like that will work in the itineraries listed. Can you recommend any sites to find information on the areas listed, if we happened upon a festival at the same time I think that would be great.