Default Just Starting out

The only roadtripping I have done is within the state ohio, but I'm interested in traveling west. A question I have is stupid, but does one have to book in advance for lodgings?

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default To book or not to book

Greetings ClairAnn & welcome to the RTA forum!

The only roadtripping I have done is within the state ohio, but I'm interested in traveling west. A question I have is stupid, but does one
    have to book in advance for lodgings?
    No question is stupid. Wether or not you need to make reservations is mainly a matter of personal preference. Of course, certain things might influence your choice like peak seasons, popular spots, time constraints, etc. Personally, I prefer the freedom of not booking in advance except when I know it's going to be high season or if there's some kind of special event in the area I plan to visit. And even in those cases, I rarely make reservations and always managed to find lodging so far. However, some people don't feel secure or at ease travelling that way. Here's an article regarding that topic.

Where exactly are you planning to go out west? If you tell us more maybe we could help you with some tips about attractions, lodging, etc..

Gen

Thanks Gen
    I have a week vacation coming up so I was planning to make a trip to Indiana but then I saw a Superman Museum in Metropolis, Il. and decided to head there. I really don't like highways so I was thinking to take the byways, I didn't even know those existed till I came to this website. This website has so many helpful tips and good articiles. Thanks again.