Default East to West Road Trip

Hi, I am new to this forum and can only imagine that plenty of folks have asked about travel tips for a cross country trip. My only specific features are this: I am starting my trip from Harrisburg PA and finish in SF. I am traveling with a good friend who has never been to the US before, but enjoys US food, music and wine. I am thinking about stopping in Jackson, Wyoming which would possibly mean traveling through Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin, So Dakota, Idaho, Oregon then turning south to Northern California/SF. Or I could try to follow Route 66. Any views/recommendations, esp if I decide to take the "Northern route".

THanks for any input.

Dmgobears

Default Every trip is brand new

Quote Originally Posted by dmgobears
    Hi, I am new to this forum
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    and can only imagine that plenty of folks have asked about travel tips for a cross country trip
    . True, such subject has come up before, but every trip is a new adventure, even if the roadtripper has followed the same route each time.
    I am thinking about stopping in Jackson, Wyoming which would possibly mean traveling through Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin, So Dakota, Idaho, Oregon then turning south to Northern California/SF. Or I could try to follow Route 66. Any views/recommendations, esp if I decide to take the "Northern route"
    . I guess the biggest question we would have is how long do you have for this trip? Such a journey could be accomplished in six days or six years. If you use the search function for cross country trips or look at the links at the bottom of this page you will get some ideas, but one of the places you mentioned would be South Dakota and this field report is quite good about one recent traveler's experience there.

Mark