Thread: LA to NY

1. Default LA to NY

Me and my girlfriend wanna make the trip from LA to NY. We don't really care too much about the stuff on the way. I was wondering if anyone has done this before.... where you think would be a good place to stop. Im prepared to drive for about 10-13 hours per day. I did the google map of the route and its a 2 day drive, but thats straight through. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Default You are dreaming!

Quote Originally Posted by thefotoguy
    Me and my girlfriend wanna make the trip from LA to NY. We don't really care too much about the stuff on the way. I was wondering if anyone has done this before.... where you think would be a good place to stop.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Actually I have done this twice non-stop and I can guarantee that it will take you a minimum of 40 hours -- We only stopped for fuel -- if you were to drive it non-stop and also stopped to eat and for reasonable breaks the fastest you can drive it today would be 49 hours. If you only drive for 10-13 hours per day, it will take you nearly four days to make the crossing and you need to stick to Interstate highways to cover the distance. If you really need to rush, read these tips!

Mark

3. Default

hahaha, i didnt mean we are going to go straight through... i just meant, i didnt want to take any side trips or anything. i guess what i really meant... are the google map directions the ones i should follow?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...city,+new+york

thanks for the reply.

Default That is the fastest, but...

Quote Originally Posted by thefotoguy
    hahaha, i didnt mean we are going to go straight through... i just meant, i didnt want to take any side trips or anything. i guess what i really meant... are the google map directions the ones i should follow?
    Since this is a summertime trip -- I would do the Colorado Rockies... I-15 from LA to I-70 and then follow I-70 all of the way to NYC.

If you have more time, there are hundreds of other routes....

Mark

5. Default

so the 15 to the 70 is better than the 40/44 to the 70 (southern route)?

Default Take Your Pick

The two routes differ by 10 miles out of 2800. Since the only scenery you're going to get to view is through the windshield, I'd second Mark's suggestion that you take I-15 and I-70 through the Rockies.

AZBuck

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default I agree

I agree with Mark and AZBuck, I-15 and I-70 through the Rockies is your best option if you plan to stick to major interstates and want to see some dramatic sceneries.

Another alternative :

I-15, I-70. In Denver take I-76 to I-80 and then follow I-80 all the way to NYC.

Gen