• Vietnam Veterans Memorial State Park - Eagle Nest, New Mexico

Established in 1968 in Eagle Nest, New Mexico near Angel Fire by Victor and Jeanne Westphall to honor their son who was killed in Vietnam, the Memorial opened in 1971. The Memorial became Vietnam Veterans Memorial State Park in 2005.

If you go:
      The chapel is very peaceful and worth a stop. It is open 24/7. Eagle Nest Lake is in a beautiful high mountain valley.

Links:

US Highway 64,
      Eagle Nest, New Mexico 87718 USA

Mailing address:
      PO Box 608
      Angel Fire, NM 87710 USA
      Comments 1 Comment
        Eris -
        Momentarily I thought this was going to be a reference to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial wall in Washington because that wall brings back a potent memory of a few years ago. I don’t want to detract from the Vietnam Veterans Memorial State Park in Eagle Nest but it is all in the same spirit.

In fact I didn’t know Eagle Nest was so near to Taos because had I known I would have gone there when in Taos not too long ago. I can well understand parents wanting to remember their son in such a way.

Being from the UK I did not serve in Vietnam but I did serve draft service in the army for my country just before that time. I saw some hot moments abroad and understand the loyalty of soldiers and it happened more by accident than design I was in Washington at the memorial wall on Memorial Day. I was quietly standing looking at the names on the wall when three men gathered at a place in front of the wall and hugged one another. I could see tears in their eyes and it was obviously in respect of a fallen comrade. They had obviously travelled from far away to join up on the day. I felt at one with them and it is a moment I shall never forget.