• Seattle, Washington to the San Juan Islands

124 miles - 6+ hours

From Seattle to the San Juan Islands, take the long way - the uncommon corridors. You won't regret it. From Seattle, head north on I-5 for Woodinville Wine Country. Don't miss the amazing Boeing Future of Flight Museum & Plant Tour before driving onto a Washington State Ferry bound for Whidbey Island at Mukilteo. Meander the length of the scenic island to Anacortes and catch the next ferry to the San Juan Islands.

Here are some of the sites to look out for along the way:

Seattle (Starting point)
      Home of Amazon.com, Microsoft and Starbucks, Seattle dazzles despite a little drizzle. Soar to the top of the Space Needle at Seattle Center. Groove to the beat at Experience Music Project. Dodge the flying fish at Pike Place Fish Market in the oldest public market in the U.S. Sip a suds at Redhook Ale or Pike Brewing Company.

Woodinville Wine Country (mile 18)
      Heading north on I-5, there are more than 60 wineries within 30 minutes of downtown Seattle. Chateau Ste. Michelle is Washington’s oldest and most acclaimed winery. Also worthy of a toast: Novelty Hill/Januik and Columbia Winery.

The Future of Flight (mile 35)
      Get hands-on at interactive zones in the Future of Flight Museum before touring the largest production floor in the world at the Boeing Everett assembly plant. Watch giant cranes cruise along miles of overhead tracks delivering airplane parts and sections of fuselage to assembly crews building 787 Dreamliners. Tip: Tours are often sold-out. Get tickets in advance to avoid disappointment.

Whidbey Island (mile 45)
      Stash the car and enjoy the scenery aboard a Washington State Clinton-Mukilteo Ferry to Whidbey Island for the next leg of our journey. Exiting the ferry, go north on WA-525. Keep a sharp eye out for Captain Ahab’s look-alike on the streets of Coupeville, City of Sea Captains. Stop by A Knot In Thyme horticultural farm and Island Bliss Alpacas in Oak Harbor. Save time for Deception Pass State Park before taking WA-20 East to Anacortes.

San Juan Islands (mile 124)
      Once again, drive aboard a Washington State Ferry at Anacortes and spend a few hours or days hiking, biking or kayaking at Friday Harbor on San Juan Island, Orcas Island and laidback little Lopez Island.

Drive aboard the Washington State Ferry bound
      for the San Juan Islands from Anacortes, WA.

Comments 3 Comments
        Sam Kynman-Cole -
        Looks good, I've added this as an alternative route to what I had planned on journey from Vancouver to Seattle (I'll be doing it in reverse) Road trip plan to date: http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?ie=UTF...6,7.064209&z=7
        last901 -
        Not a bad idea at all. Though for those who were looking more for a driving road trip, the islands tend to be sort of small.

As a local, I would suggest the Museum of Flight south of downtown Seattle as a more attractive alternative to the Future of Flight - althuogh the latter is near the Mukilteo Ferry. The Boeing Factory tour is pretty good, but it's a factory and not a museum.

As beautiful as the San Juans are, some, especially those from the east coast or other far away places might actually enjoy Vancouver and Victoria more. Especially if they like the more cosmopolitan atmosphere.

Can't lose either way in my opinion, though I live here...
        neillmcshea -
        This is a great trip. And ending the trip on a ferry to one of the most beautiful places in the states is just the icing on the cake. Try to take an earlier ferry so that you can arrive to the island during the daytime. There's a good chance you will see whales and orcas. Check this site out for some great deals around summer time: https://www.sanjuanisland.com