Default Northeast Spring 2017

Hi! So excited when I came upon this site. My husband and I both live in Sweden (Im American) and are planning a road trip from New York to Maine next spring. I guess Im looking for tips. We have 2 1/2 weeks. Plan is to visit in NY for a few days and then drive up to Maine along the sea route.

What can we expect?

What is the weather like in April?

Should we book loggings along the route?

The only road trips I took as a kid were from California to Las Vegas. :)

I have loads of time to plan. Looking for others who may have taken a road trip like this.

Thanks in advance

Tucson, AZ

Default In for a Treat

Välkomnande! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Maine, and New England in general, is one of my favorite parts of the country. The first thing that I'd suggest you do on this site is to read through these discussions of some of the many venues that can be included on such a RoadTrip. That will help (or overload?!) your planning quite a bit. In the meantime, I'll try to answer the questions you've already posed.

You can expect a great time, beautiful sites and gracious people (before the summer crowds roll in).

The weather will be a bit unpredictable as the seasons will be in full change mode. But to my way of thinking that just means that you'll get to sample more of what New England has to offer, although it probably will be a bit early for muggy summer weather or either mosquitos or black flies.

Whether or not to pre-book accommodations is entirely up to you. April is not a busy tourist time, coming between winter ski season and summer coasting season. Still, my wife and I almost always pre-book accommodations these days. It's just one more thing that we can get out of the way before we even start out on our vacations, and since we can spend hours and hours in the comfort of our own home comparing the various options, we usually get pretty much exactly what we want, exactly where and when we want it. New England is also compact enough that you can probably find a few (two or three) very comfy places (B&Bs, vacation rentals, condos), settle in, and do day trips from the comfort of a temporary 'home' rather than running from motel to motel every day.

This trip will be significantly different from your California/Nevada RoadTrips (That's the point, no?) and time spent planning now is both its own reward and will pay off handsomely in letting you make the most of your time on the road.

Last edited by AZBuck; 05-21-2016 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Typos