1. Default First Timer..Need a lot of help.

Ok. So I have always wanted to drive cross-country. ALWAYS. I am considering it for our family vacation this summer. We live in SC and I would love to see the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone.

We have an 8 and 4 yr old. They both travel well. I am mainly wondering how much to budget. We would likely do hotels. Would $2000 be a good start? I truly have no idea.

Joplin MO

Welcome to RTA!

I don't think $2000 will be anywhere near enough for a cross country round trip. A family of 4 is probably going to need $200 a day for gas, food, and hotels, and you are going to need at least 3 weeks to do the drive and see what you want to see.

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The biggest variable in how much this trip will cost is one thing you haven't mentioned: time. Obviously, the longer you are on the road, the more it will cost.

Of course, there are other factors too. How nice of hotel, what you have for a vehicle, what you plan to do for food, and what you plan to do for attractions/fun/etc.

I will say, $2k seems pretty low at first glance. To do a loop to the GC, Yellowstone, and back home, you're probably going to want at least 3 weeks on the road. Even at optimistically, at budget motels, thats $1,000 just for lodging. If you mostly eat out for meals, you'll probably need close to that for food, so that puts you around $2k before you've factored in gas, entertainment, or any other expenses.