1. Default Driving from AK to Mn Oct.1st - Advice please!

I am trying to decide if I should take the ferry to the lower 48 or drive across Canada. This is a first time trip please advise. The truck gets 10 miles to the gallon. and I am worried if there will be enough gas stations and which route is best.

Melbourne, Australia

Default The Milepost.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

You might like to get hold of a copy of The Milepost, for information regarding services in October.

If you take the Alcan to Dawson Creek, you should be fine, as there is no shortage of fuel outlets along the way. However I do not know if all stay open in October, since my trips have all been in summer. On the other hand, the highway is open all year round for the truck traffic, all of which need fuel.

From Dawson Creek you have the choice of a variety of routes, all of which are marked on the map which comes with The Milepost. The information as to services along your chosen route will be in the relevant section of the book. Since from Dawson Creek south there is much more population, I am guessing that there is no shortage of fuel outlets.

The ferry - quite a bit more expensive than driving - is also a viable choice.

Southern California

As Lifey said, there will be enough fuel stations still open on Oct 1st to not worry. If you can fuel up in the larger towns - Tok, Beaver Creek, Haynes Junction, Whitehorse, Watson Lake, Ft St John, Ft Nelson, Dawson Creek - all have truck stops with both diesel and regular fuel (since you did not specify what your truck takes). I second that suggestion - to Get a copy of the Milepost before you leave AK.