Thread: SF to Portland

1. Default SF to Portland

Hello! I am driving from San Francisco to Portland, and I want to take the most scenic route possible! The issue is I only have 1.5 days total.

I can skip most of the stuff within 2-3 hours of San Francisco (Muir Woods, Stinson, Napa and Sonoma) because I've been there plenty.

I'm most interested in Crater Lake, the Oregon caves, the Oregon coast, Avenue of Giants. Not planning to hike or anything, just want to see the sights.

Not sure if this is doable. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

South of England.

Default Not the time.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

With your time frame I think it's a case of choosing between the coastal Redwoods and Crater Lake /Columbia river Gorge. After the Redwoods you would have to start thinking of heading inland, as the Oregon coast would be slow going. Of course if you have the same amount of time to return to SF then you could take one route up and the other on the way back down, the coast being the preferred choice heading south to put the Ocean on your side of the road.

3. Default

Thank you Southwest Dave!

A ghost town would be fun to visit too. I want to go to Bodie, CA but that's not in the right direction. Anything similar that might be along the way?

Melbourne, Australia

Default Ghost towns.

Maybe there is something here which would interest you.

If you stop in Roseburg, Then you could do the OR Caves. You would have to leave by 7 to get to the caves before the last tour. Then go straight up to Portland... about another 5 hrs.

The distance and where the items you are interested in do not give you enough time to travel to them and still get to Portland in 1.5 days.