My girlfriend and I are organising a road trip in the US. We would like to visit California, Florida and NY and we're considering different options to travel inside the states. Of course, we will fly between those 3 States. We are 24 years old (I'm French and my girlfriend is Australian) and we book one ticket to New York the 22/06 and one return from Los Angeles the 31/07 so we're staying more than a month. We are planning to visit: NY, Miami, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Francisco, San Diego and the Grand Canyon.
We're also considering the option of spending 5-6 days in Cuba, so if you have any recommandation about the cheapest way to commute there and from where, they are more than welcomed!
Could you advise me on different options and your experience with those modes of transport in the US:
- Car sharing: Zipcar, Car2Go... Is it accessible to non-US residents?
- Trains: I heard it was expensive and not really convenient, could you confirm?
- Ride sharing: is there in the US an equivalent to the European BlaBlaCar ?
- Buses: what are the major bus companies?
- Car rental: do you know any cheap local car rental companies?
- Car rental between individuals: is there a startup providing cheaper car rental between individuals?
I am also looking for cheap accommodations options, do you have any ideas except AirBnB or hotels.com of cheap options?
Thanks a lot for your time :)