After spending the last leg of my road trip in mid-July visiting Great Basin National Park, I'm mulling my options of getting back home to the Bay Area. Left to myself, I would choose US 50 to I-80 in an instant. But I have a few concerns since I will be driving with the wife and two kids (13 and 9).
1. Are there call boxes along the way, and if so, how far apart are they?
2. Can I count on cell phone coverage (both of us have Sprint). The Sprint map shows off-network roaming most of the way, but not sure if anyone had experience with it.
3. How long will it realistically take for help to arrive (towing, paramedics)?
4. Is it that lonely that I may not see another car for 30 minutes? (I'll be starting around 8 AM on a Friday from Ely).
5. Are there multiple gas stations in each of the small towns? (Just in case one of them is temporarily closed for whatever reason)?
6. How many mountain passes will I encounter, and how windy does it get (wife and daughter sometimes get queasy).
Another option is to take US 93 to I-80. 93 looks as lonely as 50, so the same concerns apply, but it is half the distance to I-80. And this will definitely mean an overnight stay along the way, but I'll be OK with that if it better addresses my concerns.
Your advice is much appreciated!