I'm planning to take a roadtrip in July for 2 weeks with a rental car. I've been reading up on items to take and how to plan routes but I'm still very overwhelmed with the planning. So I have a few questions for all of you experienced folks out there. Here we go!
1. I was considering driving through the following states (taking no toll routes), but I need suggestions on cool (FREE) places to visit along the way.
Day 1: Linden, NJ-Macedonia OH
Day 2: Macedonia OH-St Louis, MO
Day 3: St Louis, MO- Witchita, KS
Day 4: Witchita, KS- Denver, CO
Day 5: Denver, CO- (seeing Brice Canyon along the way) Albuquerque, NM
Day 6: Albuquerque, NM- Grand Canyon, AZ
Day 7: Grand Canyon, AZ- Fresno, CA
Day 8: Fresno, CA- Kanab, UT (Grand Staircase)
Day 9:Kanab, UT- Santa Fe, NM
Day 10: Santa Fe, NM- Dallas, TX
Day 11: Dallas TX- Greenville, MS
Day 12: Greenville, MS- Atlanta, GA
Day 13: Atlanta, GA- Myrtle Beach, SC
Day 14: Myrtle Beach, SC- Virginia Beach, VA
Day 15: Virginia Beach, VA- Linden, NJ (HOME!)
2. The time spent driving daily is an average of about 9-10hrs. Is that OK for one person?
3. I was told that I should do some research on what these states are like during the time of the year I'll be driving (weather trends, etc). Any considerations?
4. Some items that I thought would be necessities are: a cooler,suitcase, portable phone charger, GPS, map, some snacks, cold cut sandwhich ingedients, fruit, an inflatable pillow, back pack and hygeine products. Am I missing any other essentials?
5. I plan to take a rental car. Shooting for a Hyundai Accent or a vehicle similar in size. I found some good plans at AVIS with unlimited mileage and insurance included for $600 (LET ME KNOW IF THERE ARE BETTER DEALS OUT THERE). I'm planning on taking $1,100 for gas. Will that be enough?
6. I plan to bring emergency toll money just in case I get lost and find myself having to pay toll. Should $100 suffice?
7. This is my current budget plan:
Rental Car- 600.00
Emergency Toll- 100.00
Does this seem realistic and sufficient?
8. I plan to stay at really cheap hotels (about $48 bucks per night). Is that smart (by smart I mean safe)? I plan to read reviews and look at the areas first but I cant afford anything more expensive.
This is all I have for now! I hope this isnt a horrible plan! Any advice will be greatly appreciated and PLEASE let me know if I'm missing anything. My family thinks I'm CRAZY for doing this, but IDC! Thanks in advance! :)