1. Default Places to Stop between Denver and Albuquerque

We are relatively new to Denver area and would like to discover around. We plan to go to Albuquerque at the last week of April and come back. I wonder whether this community tell me some cool places to see on the way. Ideally we would like to take different roads on the way to Albuquerque and on the way back to Denver. We are aware of Santa Fe and will stop by there but we dont know any other places to see in the area.
    Thank you very much for your suggestions!

Ft. Collins, CO.

Depends on what you like.
    I recommend the Pueblo Weisbrod Aircraft Museum.
    It might not be what you're looking for though.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Over to you.

Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.

Before we are able to give any meaningful suggestions we need to know something about your plans. How long do you have for this trip? What are your interests - national parks, history, architecture, culture, etc.? If you are new to the Denver area, are you flying into Denver for this trip? And what are you hoping to get out of this trip?

Last edited by Lifemagician; 01-28-2015 at 02:00 AM. Reason: typo

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

In Albuquerque itself are several things. One is the National Museum of Nuclear Science and History/. Another is Petroglyph National Monument. A third is Rio Grande Nature Center State Park.

Along the way -- Colorado Springs has the Air Force Academy, and Garden of the Gods. Not all that far from Pueblo is Canon City and the Royal Gorge. You could take a side trip over to Taos, much to mention there!

But as Lifey said, we really can't offer too much more without knowing what your interests are, and how long you have for this trip. If it's a week, you do have time. It's about 450 miles from Denver to Albuquerque by the most direct route (I-25), which is a nice 8-hour drive (depending on traffic in the cities).

South of England.

Default Out and back.

I would be looking at a round trip that would include some of the following ; Garden of the Gods, Pikes peak and Cave of the Winds near Manitou Springs and then to Great sand dunes NP and Taos Pueblo to Santa Fe. Between the dunes and TP you would drive through San Luis which is worth a stop for a walk up the hill through the Stations of the cross Shrine. You don't need to be religous to enjoy the amazing sculptures. In the other direction I would look at heading to Durango [great railroad ride] and up US550 [The spectacular 'Million dollar Highway] through the mountain towns of Silverton and Ouray to Montrose. Then head east on US50 which will take you near Black canyon of the Gunnison NP, through Currecanti Nat Rec area and over the continental divide at Monarch Pass to Poncha Springs to US285. You would have the option of turning onto US24 through the mining town of Leadville to I70 where you could detour over Loveland Pass from Dillon. It does come down to how much time you want to spend on the road.

6. Default

Thanks to all. These are great suggestions.