1. Default Driving from Niagara Falls to Nanaimo BC Through The US TIPS???

This is my first post here so thank you in advance for any tips you can offer. I will be driving from Niagara Falls Ontario across the country to Nanaimo BC but travelling through the US and crossing the Niagara Falls border. My trip will take me through NY, PA, OH, IN, IL, WI, MN, ND, MT and WA before entering back into Canada at BC.
    I will be travelling March 1 by myself, I can drive for long distances and it doesn't bother me at all but I have never ventured cross country before.
    My question is: any tips for this drive at this time of year? Weather?
    Thank you for your help!

Melbourne, Australia

Default Steady does it.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.

Many of us can, and at times have travelled long distances, but when looking at a trip of this length you need to approach it the way an athlete approaches a marathon. Pace yourself with daily goals somewhere around 550 miles. The temptation to push on at the beginning when you are fresh and rested will only leave you fatigued on subsequent days. Better to travel at a steady pace so there is something left at the end should a sprint to the final destination be required.

Joplin MO

I would recommend you cross the border at Sarnia instead of at Niagara Falls. You want to try to stay out of the lake effect snow belt.

4. Default

Thanks for the tips! I like the border at Niagara for crossing, usually pretty quick and easy. I have heard horror stories about the Sarnia border with wait times etc. I will def be keeping an eye for snow but come March 1st when I start the drive the snow will hopefully have stopped by then....hopefully

Green County, Wisconsin

I've actually had longer wait times around Niagara than I ever have when crossing at Sarnia - although it's completely hit or miss either way.

I certainly would not count on the snow having stopped by March 1st. March is actually one of the snowiest months of the year in the northern states (warmer temperatures actually mean more snow) and when you throw in the lake effect potential, especially south of lake erie, I'd say you have a relatively high chance of seeing snow. Of course, there's no way of knowing exactly what you'll see at this point, but I would certainly plan to see some snow at some point along the way.

6. Default

I guess I will decide what border to take that morning depending on the weather.