Default Pittsburgh to Cincinnati in November

Hi all,

I've got a roundtrip from Louisville to Pittsburgh planned in early November. I've pretty well plotted the drive up (through eastern KY, WV, and then up through SW PA--all interstate because I have to do it in one day), but I'd really like to get off the interstate on the way home, particularly between Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. I'll probably pick up I-71 near Cincinnati for the rest of the trip home.

I'm really just looking for a nice drive on the surface roads, with scenic spots, interesting small towns, historical tidbits, or just a nice place to pull off the road and stretch for a bit being nice bonuses. I have to get from Pittsburgh to Louisville in one day, so I can't venture too far out of the way.

Open to any and all suggestions!

Tucson, AZ

Default Two Major Options

There are two possibilities that would suit your purposes for your return drive to Louisville. One more on the historic side, and the other more on the scenic side. The first is the old National Road. Today this is US-40 and has the advantage that it's relatively straight and runs parallel to I-70 so if you find that you're running out of time, you can just hop n the Interstate and head home.

The other are the roads that follow the Ohio River. I've driven most of that route and it was amazing to me how undeveloped those roads were considering they ran along a major river.

The choice is yours, but those are the two options that I think warrant further investigation on your part.

Last edited by AZBuck; 09-19-2014 at 08:03 PM.

Perfect! Thank you, AZBuck. I'll check out both of those routes.