1. Default west coast adventure

flying into La from Australia, to go to Vegas for a week, on the 26th October.
    I was going to hire a car and drive from La to San Fran (via PCH)to Yosemite to Mammth Lakes to Death Valley to Vegas.
    I need to be in Vegas by the 2nd November.
    Is this trip too long? There is only my wife and I, first time in 10 years without kids!
    What do you suggest for accomodation and routes to take. I would like 1 night at Post Ranch Inn, and would like to do the Tioga Pass.
    I also have a few days after vegas to killand would like to ski for a couple of days, is this possible this time of year.(7th Nov)

South of England.

Default Grand canyon ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

You should be OK if you don't want to spend time in LA and the Tioga Pass is open. The pass can close anytime from mid-October onwards, sometimes it closes temporarily, due to an early storm or with ice on the road, before closing for the season, which could still mean you would have to go north or south around the mountains. Unfortunately there is just no way of knowing until a few days/hours beforehand. The best bet would be to not book lodgings on the east side and see what happens. A couple of days up the coast to SF for a day or 2 before heading to Yosemite and continuing on to Vegas will make a great mini roadtrip.

I can't help with skiing but if you have a few days after LV then the Grand canyon NP is certainly worthy of consideration. If you 'think' you have that covered while in Vegas the you should check the tour[s] as most go to the West rim which is not part of the National park and nowhere near as wonderful.

Melbourne, Australia

Default From one Aussie to another.

If you have not roadtripped in the US before, a couple of hints I have found useful. Be sure to bring your RACV, NRMA (or similar) membership with you. It will give you access to free maps and tourist information from the AAA. While you are in LA, pick up maps for all the States through which you will be travelling, as well as the major urban centres. Don't be tempted to rely solely on a satnav.

A small flag to put in the rear window of the vehicle, also comes in handy. Let's the locals know you are not a local, and who knows who else might see. it It happens regularly that I get an ex pat or an ex military who fought alongside Aussies, approach me for a chat.

I have a feeling that you could be too early for much skiing in early Nov.