Hi I'm flying into San Francisco on September 30th and out from LA on October 25th. We plan on spending 5-6 days in SF and surrounding area, then considering the following schedule as we're interested in a route that takes us through lots of stunning nature and historical towns etc:
- Spend one night in the Mendocino area from 6th - 7th.
- Head to Nevada city and possibly stay one night there.
- Drive down to Placerville also possibly spending a night here.
- To Sonora maybe for a night.
- Reach Yosemite on the 10th and spend two nights here.
- Head towards Vegas via Bishop and Death Valley arriving in Vegas 14th.
- Spend one or two nights in Vegas before reaching Grand Canyon on 17th.
- Head to Joshua Tree NP on the 18th and maybe spend two nights here before reaching LA on 20th.
We'd appreciate any advice on if our route sounds good/possible changes we might want to make and areas we might want to miss out. Also what places are good to stay around Death Valley and Grand Canyon areas? As you can see we're uncertain how many nights we might want to spend in some places so all advice on this welcome too!
We're also wondering if it's recommended to book most places or if we'll be fine to just find places to stay along the way? We know we'll have to book for Yosemite and Vegas as well as San Francisco and LA.
Thanks in advance for tips and advice!