Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. Default Charleston to Portland.... let's do this!

    Hi guys,
    My fiancÚ and I made the trip from Phoenix, AZ to Charleston, SC this summer and are now moving back up to Portland, OR where we used to live. We are leaving early December. My issue is this is a completely different time of year/route than what we traveled last time. He is totally indifferent about which way we go and thinks we should wing it, but I'm convinced otherwise. So, my question: which way should we go? Time isn't an issue, we could take two weeks if we really wanted to (but hopefully not- that sounds awful). I am wanting the safest way for travel during winter. I know it's hard to judge because we don't know the weather a month in advance, but a good idea of what mountain ranges/areas are total death traps would be nice. Any insight/information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Joplin MO



    I'd wing it, making your day-to-day decisions based on the weather and current road conditions. It would be almost pointless to plan a route now. ANY area of the country can be a "death trap" at any particular time. If the weather is not good, stick to the Interstate highways and/or hole up somewhere till it gets better.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    South of England.

    Default Time on the road is joy to most of us.

    Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

    Time isn't an issue, we could take two weeks if we really wanted to (but hopefully not- that sounds awful).
    That sounds like heaven to most road trip enthusiasts ! ;-)

    As you rightly note, no one can predict the weather a month from now so no one can tell you the safest way for sure at the exact time you are travelling. Interstates are a priority to keep clear and open so that the country can keep on the move, they also have gradual curves and gradients for ease of use for even the biggest of rigs. Travelling at this time fo year could throw up anything weather wise and 'winging it' would not be such a bad idea. If you were not comfortable with this, you should have no problem booking a room 2 or 3 days in advance before you leave and from the road with forecasts in hand. I would allow a minum of 6 days to travel and have a couple 'in the bank' where you can wait out a storm if needed and/or do a little sight seeing along the way. There is no point in struggling along in a major storm, just pull off the road and let it pass while the crews clean up, that's the best way to stay safe.

    On the other hand, if you want to make it a bit of adventure of it, get a nice big map of the US and see if there is anything along the way that you would really like to see and build a route from there.

Similar Threads

  1. Portland, OR to Charleston, SC
    By Tiffany in forum Fall & Winter RoadTrips
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-11-2009, 11:32 PM
  2. Portland Maine to Portland Oregon late October
    By adrian mills in forum Fall & Winter RoadTrips
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-20-2009, 05:43 PM
  3. Mom and daughter CT to Charleston, NC
    By ohcaptainobvious in forum Spring RoadTrips
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-28-2008, 11:28 AM
  4. Milwaukee, WI to Charleston, SC
    By 14life in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-04-2005, 03:37 PM


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  • Find the Perfect Hotel
    Search RoadTrip Motels
    Enter city name