Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default An RV trip in the U.S

Hello guys!

First,let me share with you that I'm pleased I found that forum,and from a little bit of "observation" it seems very professional.

If you guys don't mind, I would like to ask you some very basic questions, because me and my friends(currently we are 3) have to start with something and get a general idea of this kind of exprerience :)

First of all let me mention it's a dream of us. we are,for now, 3 guys (1*23 yo 2*21.5 yo), and guys our age usually go to 2 major kinds of trips: Far east and south\central America. We are different ;) we want to have an RV cross-country trip before each of us begins with his studies.
    Of course,we would like it to be a very strong experience,therefore, we thought about a 2 months trip(at least), so we could explore America as much as we can and do many types of activities, such as National Parks, sport events, museums and much more.
    We would also like to rent a relatively new RV, not too fancy though...basic I would say. Maybe it'll cost us a little bit more than motels but the experience is too tempting to miss,in our point of view.

Our budget is 10-12 k dollars each. the time is: spring\summer 2015. the course: we don't know yet but our general thought is a loop starting from east.

My first and maybe the most important question is: is it a resonable budget for 2 months travelling+ spending money? (after calculating basic expanses such as renting rv+insurance+fuel+tent+food+extra gear+idk lol)

Thanks Alot guys!

Tucson, AZ

Default Where and How to Start

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

First of all, let me say that you've got the two most important things you need for such an adventure, time and money, in pretty good shape. Everything after that is just details. So which details are in the next level of planning you should be doing? Probably lining up the RV rental and determining what your gateway city in the US will be. Both will be driven mostly by cost, with a few other considerations, they will need to be made in conjunction with each other, and both will need to be in place before you can finalize and other details regarding the trip.

You should probably start by lining up the RV since that will be the item with the widest range of possibilities. First: what sort of RV. From your comments, I'd say that something in the Class 'B' range would probably suit you best. It's the smallest and most 'car-like' of the major RV classes, will probably be the cheapest to rent, and will go through the fewest gallons of gas for the miles you travel. still, it should sleep three relatively comfortably, just make sure to specify that you will need three beds when making your arrangements. Obviously it will be cheaper if you rent 'locally' and return the RV to where you got it rather than 'one-way', returning it somewhere else. This will also help keep the airfares down by requiring only a simple round trip ticket to/from your gateway city.

So start shopping around the major RV rental companies such as Cruise America, El Monte RV, Apollo RV and others. While you don't necessarily want to drop off anywhere other than where you pick it up, a nation-wide outfit will be in far better position to come to your aid in the event of a breakdown or accident. Also be sure to ask about all the 'extras' that may not be in the base rental price, such as linens for the beds, cooking and eating utensils, towels, etc. You may have to trade off price on the RV vs. price on the airfare, so be investigating both of those items concurrently. Once you have that basic starting point of your trip set, the rest of it is relatively easy and is perhaps the most enjoyable part of your trip - investigating all the possibilities for where you'll want to go. But you've got lots of time for that, both for the planning and the adventure itself.

Green County, Wisconsin

I agree with Buck, you are in great shape at this point. Your budget is very healthy, both in terms of time and money.

I would also agree that looking into RV rental is probably your first step, because that cost can change quite a bit, and with your ages, you're going to have to find a company that will allow all of you to drive, and won't penalize you too much for being under 25.

With this being a spring/summer trip, starting in the east could have some advantages. There are some mountain areas in the west where winter sticks around a long time, and things don't fully open up until into June. If you were starting in the east in late spring, you may find that some more parks and places have opened up by the time you get to the west.

South of England.

Default Watch out for extra charges.

You will have to take into consideration that if the younger guys want to drive each one will face extra charges for 'Young driver fees' which is quite standard in the US. If the eldest is 25 when you travel and is prepared to do all the driving the fees would not apply.

I would certainly use a reputable company like those mentioned by Buck to make sure you have full back up and support if you have any break downs or problems on the road. These all use modern RV's that are well equipped. When comparing costs make sure you check the 'bottom line' figure with all the extras included and not the 'headline' figure. Extra charges are often for mileage usage, [normally if averaging over 100 miles per day ] kitchen kits and bedding, preparation fees, generator usage and of course to check whether or not insurance is included. When searching be sure to check out special offers, for example on the Cruise America site click on the 'Hot deals' link where they often offer some free nights, free miles or discounts for early bookings.

The Class 'B' that Buck refers to would be suitable, but they are quite rare to find as a rental and you might find a small class 'C' easier to find and actually cheaper with more room, especially with the overhead bed above the cab, although when comparing costs remember to take gas mileage into account, a class 'B' would give a better return.

5. Default

Well,these were pretty fast replies I would say,thanks alot for all three of you guys!
    I'm very glad to hear that our budget is just fine for 2 months travelling, that is great. I guess our first step is going to be checking the "area" as you said and get the best offer we can,after all "extras".

Again,I'm very thankful for repling me so fast,and I have no doubt we'll talk again.

Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 10-30-2013 at 11:49 AM. Reason: inline quote not needed here

6. Default

update: before I do my research among the rv rental companies, I would like to get a list of things i have to ask them,in order to cover every aspect of the renting of the rv and get a very close-to-reality price range as possiable. here are my questions after a little research,please help me to get a complete list of questions:
    1)Amount of nights(for now 60)
    2)best mileage pack
    3)extended insurance(vip+sli+ whatever needed)
    4)allowance to all drivers to drive(btw i got regular drivers' license both for auto gear and manual,is it ok or i need something else?)
    5)extra gear such as: GPS,full propane and gas tank, camground pass(is it good you think?),full generator useage,welcome pack,chairs & table.
    6) RV guide+PAD

missed something? :)

Tucson, AZ

Default Two or Three Things

Your list of questions is fine as far as it goes. But be sure to ask about bed linens, towels, kitchen utensils, and plates and silverware.

Also, check with your insurance companies first to see what kind of coverage you already have. This means not only the companies covering your driving and autos, but also your credit cards (who often extend coverage automatically if you use them to rent a vehicle), and any auto clubs you may belong to such as AAA, CAA, AA, RAC, etc.

You can ask the RV firm about a GPS rental, but if it's more than even a dollar a day you can probably buy a unit for the same money.

If you stick with a Class "B" unit, or even most Class "C" units, a standard drivers license will suffice. I get the impression that you all are not from the U.S. and if your licenses are not in English, you will need to get International Drivers Licenses. These are nothing more than translations of your 'real' licenses, so if they're already in English, you can skip that step.

8. Default

Thanks AZBuck

As for your 2nd paragraph, right now, I do not own car therefore don't have any insurance,and maybe won't have till the trip,does that matter somehow?

about credit card-forgive me for ignorance, what is credit card insurance? is it included when i purchase one? anyway,right now I got "Mastercard direct" and before the trip, I'll replace it with international mastercard.

In adittion, I thought all I need to do in my country as for insurance is getting a travellers' insurance,nothing more

Thanks again

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Here's the RV checklist we recommend

Quote Originally Posted by Lihay View Post
    update: before I do my research among the rv rental companies,...missed something? :)
    What I suggest is that you read this article about renting a RV and print out the check list we created for when you pick up the rental. Reading the article now will prompt you to think about the kinds of questions you might want to ask the rental house.

Here are a few more tips about RV rentals you might find helpful....

Overview of RV rentals
    A checklist to print and take with you when you pick up the rental
    An overview about the types of RV campgrounds
    An overview about boondocking in a RV
    A discussion about visiting national monuments and national parks
    How do things like electricity hookups and water hookups work at RV parks?
    There are three primary styles for RV parks and hook-ups.
    No Hook-ups: The usual set-up in national parks and USFS campgrounds, water and dump facilities are found on-site, but not at the campground space.

Water & Electric: Water connection and ~30 amp power connections are located on the driver's side of the vehicle allowing for easy hook-up

Full Service: Water, sewer and 30-50 Amp power box all located at the driver's side (as you back in to a space) for easy hookup.

Tucson, AZ

Default Credit Card "Insurance"

There's a pretty good discussion of what credit cards do and do not cover when renting a vehicle, and the differences between cards, here. It's definitely worth a read. Then you should call the company whose credit card you plan to use and ask them specifically what the card in question covers.