This is my first post in this forum, before I embark on my first road trip in the US; from Dallas to Chicago and back.
I will have about 6 days for the entire trip and want to spend more time sight-seeing in Chicago. I'll be travelling with my wife and 1 yr old kid (his first road trip), so will have to pace the journey accordingly.
I'll need some advice/guidance on:
1) What's a good time to start from home, afternoon, evening, night?
2) Would St. Louis be a good first night halt? This way I'll have less ground to cover the next day and spend more time in Chicago.
3) Any recommendations for economy lodging? I'm not looking at anytihng too fancy, just needs to be clean and safe and close to the interstate.
4) Any recommendations on the return route? Or should it be the same?
5) Any idea on how much would the toll taxes amount to? Is there any toll tag that I should buy before hand or just pay cash?
Thanks for you help,