1. Default Coast to Coast Las Vegas to Virginia in January

Hey all.

I have a trip planned with my fiance to Virginia from Las Vegas in early/mid-January to mid-February (4-6 week leeway). Here is a condensed version of our trip I am concerned about inclement weather as I've never driven in snow and will be driving a dodge neon. We are incredibly interested in the Old South, Civil War heritage sites and historic sites in general, the Colonial South, and beautiful scenery. I am hoping you guys can recommend some cool places to see (they don't have to be tourist traps :P), cheap and decent places to stay, and of course great things to eat :D

Ideally, we would like to go all the way to Williamsburg, Virginia (Jamestown, Yorktown, and Stratford Hall too) and maybe take a little excursion into the Washington D.C./Maryland area.

Would really appreciate it if you guys have any insights into the normal weather of this area at that time in terms of driving. I have been looking at climate charts for major stops and snowfall maps but it's nothing like being on the ground.

Any information/advice would be appreciated!

South of England.

Default The unpredictable.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

The climate charts will give you an idea of what to expect with the weather and is based on historic data from "on the ground", ie "The normal". Unfortunately that means little as to what could be happening on any given day in the future which no one can help you with, it's the unpredictable. The fact that you have a nice amount of time for your trip means you can build in some time for any possible delays. The Interstates and major connecting highways are a priority to keep open to allow the country to keep moving and communties go about their every day lives. All you can really do is keep up to date with weather forecasts and road conditions as you go and be prepared for possible disruption. It might be a case of pulling of the road for a few hours, or early for the night to let a storm pass, but it's the safe and sensible thing to do in the event of a nasty spell of weather.

I'm sure other members will have some great suggestions for you, but in the meantime you will find lots of info by searching around the forums and trip planning pages above.

These winter driving tips will come in handy.