I'm planning a trip for next year in spring (May) for about a month. The idea was to start in the East, over to Oregon (Oregon trail), down to SF (Must have the ocean!) and back via Nashville, Blue Ridge. Having read some of the messages on here I think that might be pushing it time-wise. So I thought if I say what I'm after, wiser heads might be able to point me in the right direction, so to speak.
1. We're from the UK (in our 40s). We have a month planned for this trip but I might be able to extend that
2. I love camping, my wife doesn't. This might have something to do with me enjoying "roughing it". If it was made comfy, she might be persuadable, on occasion.
3. We tour in the UK and Europe on a motorbike, so we'd like to get a weeks bike trip in as part of the experience
4. We travel very well together, very similar tastes, and would really like to be off the beaten track, soak up the spirit of the places we visit. rather than motorway blasting (although not averse if we just want to get somewhere, of course)
5. Wide open spaces, unspoilt night skies, hiking some trails in the hills, going along to a local event of some kind.
6. I prefer not to plan far ahead. My wife is good with that as long as she knows where we're sleeping tonight
7. "Ooo! Look, that place sounds interesting" - But see points 2 and 6
Hopefully that gives a flavour. And hopefully someone can help :-)
Oh, and I will need somewhere to buy a guitar to play on the trip...
Thanks in advance