1. Default Driving from New York to Denver. Looking for stops/things to see.

I have to drive from NY to Denver with a friend. We are leaving around August 4th, but don't have to be there until the 10th or 11th, so we've decided to make a short vacation/road trip out of it. We are 26 year old males, looking for a good mix of sight-seeing and nightlife. Any recommendations for stops that aren't too far out of the way would be appreciated. Also tips on good, cheap places to stay and good cheap places to eat would be nice. Thanks for any help

Joplin MO

Where in New York? It's a pretty big state.

3. Default

From Woodstock, but I have a friend in Philly, so I might go stay there for a day before we really get started. Maybe I should have put from Philadelphia to Denver.

Southern California

Here are a few ideas ... can't help you with the nightlife (I'm long past that stage in my life) but here are some things:

Philadelphia -- your friend can probably share more than I can, but the highlights are Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, City Tavern. About 8 blocks down the road is Macy's, where there is the world's largest organ (the Wanamaker Organ).

Gettysburg -- Civil War site.

Dayton OH -- National Museum of the US Air Force is at Wright-Patterson AFB nearer to Fairborn. Also lots of Wright Bros stuff including their cycle shop, practice field, and the Memorial.

Springfield IL -- Lincoln home, capitol building, and outside of town is his burial site.

St Louis -- The Arch, Museum of Westward Expansion, more.

Kansas City -- now here will be some great jazz clubs, plus the National Jazz Museum and the Museum for Negro Baseball (may not be its correct title).

Denver -- Rocky Mountain National Park.

Melbourne, Australia

Default While in Denver...

... check out the downtown store of REI. Doesn't matter if you are not into camping or the out-doorsy type. Neither do you have to make a purchase. This store is unique, and the company's show piece.

6. Default

Thanks guys! I will definitely check out some of those things. The Jazz clubs will be awesome! Me and my buddy are both huge into music.