Thread: From VA to CA

1. Default From VA to CA

We'll be travelling from Northern Virginia to Long Beach, California in about 2 weeks and wanted to get an idea about how many miles per day can be covered. We rented a truck with a car in tow. Want to figure out about where we should make lodging reservations along the way if x miles are traveled per day. This is the longest trip (approx 2700 miles) either one of us has ever taken. Your tips and comments are appreciated.

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA forum!

500-600 miles is generally the most we recommend traveling in a single day, and considering the truck/trailer, I'd certainly stay on the low end of it. You'll need to travel at slower speeds, driving will be a bit more draining, and you'll also need some time at the start just to get used to the set-up.

So that means you should plan on at least 5, if not 6, days for the trip. With 5 days, I'd look at Knoxville, Little Rock, Amarillo, and Winslow/Holbrook AZ as good possibilities, but I probably wouldn't make reservations and give yourself some flexability.

Southern California

I would totally concur with Michael on this one: 500 miles is probably enough for one day. At this time of the year, lodging reservations aren't really needed. Also, so many places have good parking for a truck/car combo like that.

4. Default

Thank you so much for your prudent advice.