1. Default Los Angeles to Grand Canyon and a few stops in-between

I'd like some advise on a road trip I'm planning with my kids ages 9 & 12 for spring break (first week of April). The plan is to drive from LA to Grand Canyon. What is the best/most interesting section(s) of the Canyon to visit? How many days should I spend in GC? Is it worth stoping in Jerome, Prescott and/or Sedona? Any other recommendations of what may be interesting for kids to see or do on this trip? I heard there is an interesting train ride from William to GC? Anyone have any info on that? What are some places not worth visiting? Thanks!!!

South of England.

Default 'Best' because it's open when you travel.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

The National park area of the Grand canyon is by far the best place to be. This consists of two areas, the North rim and the South rim. The North rim has fewer amenities and therefor less visitors, which is a big plus for a lot of people. Higher in elevation than the South rim, it has some outstanding views of the canyon. The South rim is by far the most visited, because of the amenities and easy access to many, many viewpoints.

For your trip the South rim is going to be the nearest, but having said that, the North rim will still be closed to traffic at the beginning of April due to snow accumulation. South rim it is then !! I would spend at least a full day [day and a half] and 2 nights there and could easily spend a lot more.

The Grand canyon train site is here. It could be a nice experience for the Kid's but I would allow time to drive to the canyon so you can get around and explore all areas.

The Sedona area is very pretty and around the Grand canyon there are sites like Walnut Canyon and Sunset Crater and the Cameron Trading Post. Only you and your Kid's can decide what sites are worth it and what are not, based on your own interests. I would look at taking one route out and another back to create a loop and see different things. Perhaps a bit of route 66 on the way out through Kingman and Seligman and down through Sedona on the way back.

3. Default

Thanks, Southwest Dave!
    South rim it is!!! I will look into Kingman and Seligman. My boys would appreciate visiting any ghost towns, mining towns, etc. I love anything historical or beautiful. How are Jerome or Prescott for that? How many days/nights do you recommend staying in Sedona?
    Thanks again.

The Netherlands

If you want to see a ghosttown/mining town definitely take the stretch on R66 (Oatman hw) between Topock off I140 to Oatman and on to Kingman over Sitgreaves Pass. This is one of the best remaining parts of R66 and kids will like the wild burros in Oatman.