Hi everyone. We are currently in the first phase of exploring the route options for our road trip.
- Arrival + departure from JFK airport New York - also possible to take a one-way flight to somewhere in the US
- Family with older kids - no disney anymore.
- Enjoy: mountains, nature and national parks with pictoresque little towns (Bar Harbor / Acadia N.P. style)
- Last time we loved: Bryce N.P, Zion N.P., Highway One and Yosemite N.P. Now the Eastcoast, or Mideast.
- One flight is possible, but +- max. 3 hour flight time (e.g. towards Kentucky / Texas / Florida or maybe Canada?)
- Weather: we enjoy sun.
- We visited California and Utah before and loved it.
We found the following interesting locations we are currently thinking of visiting (but please change our mind of others would be more recommended
- New York: never visited. Maybe at the end. Maybe at the beginning of the trip.
- Niagara Falls: seems interesting.
- Bar Harbor / Acadia N.P. seems pictoresque (I've been there before, the rest isn't)
- Great Smoky Mountains N.P.
- Washington D.C.
The question is: should we take a one-way flight to somewhere, so we cross interesting sights? Should we go north (Canada/Maine/Vermont) or more south (North/South Carolina and Tennessee)? We are in the exploratory phase, so we would be interested in hearing someones perspective!
Very appreciated. Thank you in advance.