Hello! I'm really happy I found such an amazing and informative forum which was really helpful to take decisions about my trip to the West Coast (we are a couple with 3 teenagers). We really want to make the most out of the 15 days we'll be there. Anyway, I have some specific doubts and I'd be grateful if someone could help. This is my (rough) itinerary:
1) Jan. 3 - 7: San Francisco (also going to Palo Alto to visit some relatives). Do you think we should go to Muir Woods? Should we rent a car to go?
2) Jan. 7: Going by car to Yosemite (I know many roads are closed, but wouldn't miss the chance to go to the Park in winter, do you think it's risky or crazy? We're renting a mini van), spending the night in Yosemite Lodge and leaving next morning/afternoon after, what do you think is better? We'd like to ski in Badger Pass if its possible but I don't think we have much time.
3) Jan. 8: Going by car to Monterey, visiting Carmel and other attractions over there, sightseeing, spending the night somewhere en-route. Next afternoon leaving to LA via Highway 1, stopping by Big Sur to take some pictures.
4) Jan. 9 - 13: Arriving in LA at night. Do you think 4 days is too much? Then we're heading to San Diego.
5) Jan. 13: Spending one day in San Diego and dropping off the car there. Flying to Las Vegas next day.
6) Jan. 14-17: Staying in Las Vegas. We won't need a car if we stay in The Strip, right? I'd like to add some day excursion, like a helicopter tour to Grand Canyon. Do you think it's worth it given how expensive it is (around $300 per person)?
Do you think this itinerary is feasible, or we'll run out of time in some part of the trip? My priority is to be able to do it all, but of course I'm open to change something if it's not doable this way.
Any comment/recommendation/advice/whatever will be appreciated!
Thanks so much in advance!
Edit: forgot to mention something important! We HAVE TO start in SF and end the trip in Las Vegas because that's where our flights arrive and leave!