Hi everyone, this is my first post but this seems like a great website.
My partner and I are moving to Seattle from the Chicago area for October 1st. We will have anywhere from 4 to 6 driving days depending on when we decide to leave. I have some questions.
We were planning to stick to the major highways, and of the three routes (I-90, I-94, or I-80), we were looking at taking I-94 through Minneapolis eventually hooking up with I-90 in Billings. We want to do this just because I have some inclination that this will be the most interesting route for us (being less familiar with these states), it's also the shortest.
Here are some specific questions I have:
1. Is weather a concern at this time of year? Relatedly, what mountain passes will we have to cross and how is the weather this time of year for the passes?
2. What would logical stopping cities/towns be? Are there any very long stretches without accommodations?
3. How many hours per day should we expect to drive if we do 4, 5, or 6 driving days respectably?
4. What are some recommendations for cheap, safe accommodations along the way without camping?
5. If you had to pick one great local restaurant anywhere along this route we should eat at, let us know... we love to good try local spots.
Thank you! We really appreciate your help.