1. Default Northern NJ to/from Northern Michigan

Hi all. New to the forum here. I am planning a trip in August 2011 from Northern NJ to Interlochen Michigan (near Traverse City) and back. I will be with my wife and 2 of my kids (12, 8) on the way out, and adding the 3rd kid (14) on the way back. I was thinking of taking a Northerly route through Upstate NY and Ontario one way, and southerly through Ohio and PA the other way. We're thinking to make it fairly leisurely, hopefully no more than 4-5 hours of driving per day on average.

Any suggestions on interesting stops on the way there or back? I'm pretty familiar with upstate NY, but am much less so with Western PA, Ohio, Michigan and Southern Ontario. As far as interests, we all tend to like hiking/outdoors activities, state/national parks, historical sites, unique off the beaten path attractions, local fairs/festivals, and local non-chain restaurants/diners/other eateries.

Hope this isn't too broad a question to generate comment, but I'd be interested in any suggestions from anyone who has driven a similar route or lives in any of the areas we'd be driving through. Thanks!

Tucson, AZ

Default Many Short Days

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

As long as you realize that by limiting yourself to 4-5 hour days, you'll need to be on the road at least three days in each direction, and you have the time for that, this could be a very fun trip. Clearly the main attraction going through New York to Niagara Falls would be the Erie Canal, but don't ignore Seneca Falls, the site of the start of the Women's Movement (and a National Historic Park). In the Niagara Falls area, there is also Old Fort Niagara and Niagara-on-the-Lake at the northern end of the Niagara River. Unfortunately, there is no river crossing at that point, and you may have to choose one or the other.

London, Ontario is home to a number of museums including a children's museum and the Wolseley Barracks, the museum of the Royal Canadian Regiment. And although Saginaw is often thought of as an industrial town, the nearby Shiawassee National Wildlife Refuge offers a worthwhile respite. After picking up the third child, you can visit nearby Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore and/or (if you have a little extra time) a drive up to Mackinaw City and Colonial Michilimackinac would be in order.

On the return drive Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sandusky, Cuyahoga Valley National Park outside Cleveland, and the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania are all possibilities.

Joplin MO

If you are planning on going through Canada, you and your wife will need passports, and you will need certified copies of the kids' birth certificates or they will also need passports.

4. Default

Thanks for the quick replies. The 3 day time frame each way sounds about right.