Miramar, California, United States

Default Driving the midwest this summer, looking for sights

Plannin on driving from southern California to amarillo then north to South Dakota, then west to Washington. Ive done alot of roads back on east coast, but looking for some ideas, places to stop, best roads for what im lookin at.

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

"Best" can mean a whole lot of different things, and you really haven't given us much to go on. What sorts of things are you interested in? What places do you know you want to stop already, and why did you pick them? How much time do you have available?

Once we've got a better idea of what you are trying to get out of your trip, we can provide more help, but we need a little more from you first.

Miramar, California, United States

my only planned stops are amarillo, TX because of this steak place i ran into there, abiline kansas where i met some great people and beautiful country side, yellowstone park ive never been but ive wanted to since a kid, and the redwood forests in northern california...between those, im not sure what to look for, or how to get there. im just tired of driving the interstates for days on end

South of England.

Default How long?

How much time have you planned for the trip ?

Some obvious spots to look at to Amarillo and get you off Interstate would be the Grand canyon and a detour up through Monument valley and possibly to Taos Pueblo and Santa Fe and then 'around' Rapid City you have Badlands NP, Custer state park, Mount Rushmore , Crazy horse memorial, Wind cave NP around the Black hills. From Yellowstone you could head further North to Glacier NP. Mount St Helens, Crater Lake and/or the Oregon coast are just a few things to consider heading South towards the Redwoods.

This is just the 'tip of the iceberg' and I would suggest you look around the forums [use the search button] and scroll down the page for 'Similar threads' on each thread you visit. In the toolbars above you will find many links, including the Map centre that is a very useful planning tool to help plan routes and find attractions.

As nice as those steaks and folks are in Amarillo and Kansas, have you ever been up through Colorado ? You have some great scenery, mountain drives, small towns and friendly Folk, just a thought.

When you start getting some dots on the map I am sure we can help to 'fine tune' your trip and make suggestions but you need to do a little of your own research to 'kick start' things.

Enjoy the planning !