Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default San Fran to Banff, Jasper Via Vancouver B.C. in 2 weeks - Is it possible?

Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am so glad to have found this forum as it has so much info. People here are also helpful, and generally friendly!

I am planning a camping trip to Banff and Jasper this summer with my family; me, DW, and a 7 year old. We will start our trip from San Fran and...

Day 1 - take I-5 to Oregon
    Day 2 - Continue to Vancouver B.C.
    Day 3-5 - Sight see in Vancouver
    Day 6 and ... - This is where I need help. There are so many ways to go to Banff and Jasper. Can someone give their best opinion? I only have 9 more days to see the Canadian Rockies and get back to San Fran.

Thanks in advance!

Tucson, AZ

Default An Opinion for Sure

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Whether it's best or not is open to debate, but the way I'd go is to take the Sea to Sky Highway (BC-99) out of Vancouver through Whistler to Cache Creek, the Trans-Canada (1) to Kamloops and then BC-5 to Tęte Jaune Cache where the Trans-Canada (16) crosses the continental divide through Mount Robson Provincial Park and into Jasper. AB-93 would then take you down through Jasper and Banff National Parks.

I'd leave at least three days for the drive back to San Francisco from Banff, but four would be better. There's plenty more to see on the way home. AB-93/BC-93 takes you west back across the Rockies and south through Kootenay National Park to the junction with BC-3 and BC-95 which connects with US-95 in northern Idaho. From Coeur d'Alene I-90 to Ritzville, WA and US-395 to Kennewick connects you to I-82/I-84 for a short run down the upper Columbia River Gorge to US-97 south past Crater Lake National Park to Mt. Shasta and I-5 home.

3. Default

Beautiful! This is just what I was looking for. Someone else's opionion to open up the horizon.

BTW, I was thinking since I am up that far North, I may go to Edmonton and Calgary too. Am I too ambitious (given the fact that I only have 9 days to travel from Vancouver to San Fran and everything in between)?

Thanks AZBuck!

Joplin MO

Plot out your route on Google Maps, and make note of the drive times between points. Add 20% to those, and this will tell you just how long it's going to take you to get from point A to point B with no sightseeing, just basic stops (fuel, food on the fly, leg stretching, and bathroom). Add in your off-the-road sleep and dead times and sightseeing stops and see how the math comes up. I can foresee a very cranky 7 year old if you try to pack too much stuff in.

5. Default Should I stay or should I go?

Thanks for the reply, glc

I think you are absolutely right. But here's my dilemma - The reason I want to go to Edmonton is to the mall so my kid will have some play time there. Unfortunately, It takes time to get there since we are driving. Should I stay or should I go ?
    Last edited by DoItNow; 03-04-2010 at 07:24 PM.

Joplin MO

In that case, I wouldn't go to Edmonton unless you can have a full day of downtime there.

7. Default

I was thinking of staying 2 days in Edmonton and go to the mall. Don't they have a time machine ride there :)

Joplin MO

A Web search shows that the mall has a LOT of stuff, including a full indoor amusement park, but I don't see any reference to a time machine ride.

9. Default Tongue-in-cheek

Thank you and Sorry glc. The time machine that I was referring to was "my wish" so that we will have more time to do this trip. While you were trying to help me seriously but I went and ask a question in such poor manner. I apologize for that. It was inappropriate!

Green County, Wisconsin

Default irony, the internets biggest weekness

There was nothing wrong with your joke. I got it, but unfortuantly, its always hard to deliver sarcasm on the internet because without the tone, it can easily be misunderstood.