Default Vancouver to California Summer 2009

My husband and I are planning a trip from Vancouver to California, and maybe into Nevada this summer. We have about 3 weeks so we should be able to see quite a bit. We want to visit Oregon and see some of the coast on the way, definitely want to hit the San Fransisco for some wineries and see lots of California, the beaches, maybe a theme park, and LA for sure. If we can fit it in, Las Vegas too.

We have never driven through the US before so we would sure appreciate it if anyone has tips on where to go, what to see, and what to pass by.

Thanks in advance

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Here is a thread that should get you started, although it includes San Diego and excludes Las Vegas.

Some popular stops when going to or from Las Vegas include Death Valley, Mojave, Sequoia, and Yosemite.

In your instance, a coastal route South and an inland route back North would give you the opportunity to fit in all that you have mentioned and some of the parks here. Keep in mind that this would be roughly 3000 miles (5000 km), so there may be things that have to be cut, depending on how long you want to spend in any one area. Still, I think you have a good amount of time to see what you want to see.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Northern California

Throw in my tuppence worth here with some of the places I enjoyed in Northern California.

The western most point of the USA at Cape Mendocino.

The Avenue of Giants, magnificent redwood giants up to a thousand years old.

The little known geyser at Calistoga, one of only three geysers in the world which erupt predictably and regular. The other two being in Yellowstone and New Zealand.