Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Lindsay Guest

Default College girls going to Tennessee

My two friends and I are going to Tennessee for a week after school lets out in May. We're planning on going to Pigeon Forge (for Dollywood), Nashville (for the Grand Ole Opry), and Memphis (for Graceland). We live in Washington DC, so our route will be to drive through Virginia, and enter Tennesse around Bristol. None of us have ever been to Tennesse on a trip, so we don't know what there is to see and do there, besides the three places I mentioned before. We'd like to hit as many random places as possible, the more touristy, the better! We'll be there for a week (wed to wed). Any suggestions on where else we might want to visit? How much money to bring? (I was thinking around $1500 each, plus a little extras for emergencys.) What to bring, pack etc? None of us have ever been on a trip w/out our parents, so needless to say we can use any advice you're willing to give us!! Replys would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks and take care.
    Lindsay

Lindsay Guest

My two friends and I are going to Tennessee for a week after school lets out in May. We're planning on going to Pigeon Forge (for Dollywood), Nashville (for the Grand Ole Opry), and Memphis (for Graceland). We live in Washington DC, so our route will be to drive through Virginia, and enter Tennesse around Bristol. None of us have ever been to Tennesse on a trip, so we don't know what there is to see and do there, besides the three places I mentioned before. We'd like to hit as many random places as possible, the more touristy, the better! We'll be there for a week (wed to wed). Any suggestions on where else we might want to visit? How much money to bring? (I was thinking around $1500 each, plus a little extras for emergencys.) What to bring, pack etc? None of us have ever been on a trip w/out our parents, so needless to say we can use any advice you're willing to give us!! Replys would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks and take care.
    Lindsay

Lindsay Guest

Thanks and take care.
    Lindsay

Default See some dead presidents!

Your interests may be much different than mine -- but there are many Civil War sites in Tennessee.

Also, the homes and burial places of at least two presidents, Andrew Jackson, The Hermitage, near Nashville, and the Andrew Johnson Natl Historic Site (but I'm not sure if he's actually buried there) near Greeneville. Plus, James Polk's home is near Columbia.

For scenery, you can't beat the Great Smokey Mountain Natl Park.

Are you all "legal?" If so, try the Jack Daniels Distillery tour at Lynchburg, near Tullahoma. You may not need to be 21 to TAKE the tour, but you certainly would in order to sample the fine product.

There's Cumberland Caverns Park near McMinnville, and a natural bridge by Waynesboro.

Casey Jones' home and RR museum are near Jackson.

And finally, a friend of mine saw Elvis at a Quickie Mart in Pulaski, so you should probably go by there and look around just to see if she was lying to me.

imported_LAURA Guest

Default Lynchburg.

Dont skip Lynchburg. You dont need to be 21 to go on the tour. I was just there last weekend. We did not get carded, and there were kids on the tour. The county Lynchburg is in is a dry county so they dont give out free samples, because it is illegal -- only deep breaths of the charchol mellowing process. You can only buy some high quality commentrative whiskey at the visitor centers.

But none the less the tour is great. A lot of history invloved in the tour, and I thought it was neat to see the whiskey making process.

THe town of lynchburg has a small neat downtown with alot of toursit shops.

LAURA

Default Aren't those breaths something else?

I am so glad you were able to stop there. It is real easy to get a contact "high" from the fumes that waft out of those charcoal processing vats.

Hmmm. I heard that they legalized that section of the county -- made a 1/4 acre of the county that matches the tasting area as legal for consumption. I have press release to that effect around the office here someplace.

It is Hootch on a grand scale!

imported_Bob Guest

Default Can't wait

I have a weekend trip to TN all planned and waiting for cheap airfare. I've always wanted to vist Jack anyway.

imported_LAURA Guest

Our tour guide did not say anything about that. He made some comment that if you are a whiskey taster you cannot swallow the whiskey, only swish it around and spit out. And if you do swallow you get made a tour guide... :) I'm sure the last half of the comment was a joke.

The county did pass a special vote to allow the visitor's center to sell the collectors bottles of whiskey a couple years back.

LAURA

Default Tennessee

I live in Sevierville, close to Pigeon Forge. All of Tennessee in a week is a bit agressive. 500+ miles end to end. I'd be glad to help out with any planning. feel free to email me at opticalil@aol.com

Gary

Default More like a lifetime...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary
    I live in Sevierville, close to Pigeon Forge. All of Tennessee in a week is a bit agressive. 500+ miles end to end. I'd be glad to help out with any planning. feel free to email me at opticalil@aol.com
    Gary, I agree, to really see all of what Tennessee has to offer, would take a daily road trip for the rest of one's life.

Mark