Thread: Confused?

I am in my mid 20's and desprately want to take a road trip. Unfortunately all my friends have commitments and cannot take the time to do so. I would readily just take off on my own, but am scared to travel alone. Have you heard of others in my situation? Is there any resources that would connect me with travelers looking for companions? Would that be safe?

Default 39+ Threads on this forum

Sara,

Frequent threads on this forum deal with solo travelers, usually female. If you use the Search function (red button top of this page) and use "solo" as the keyword you will find at least 39 threads addressing this issue.

There are a number of non-profit organizations that arrange roadtrips -- one that I can suggest is run by <a href = "http://www.houstonculture.org">Mark Lacy</a> in Houston. In addition, most of the adventure travel firms (Sobek being the largest in the world) have roadtrip elements in their packages.

The "Share the Gas" section of this forum has put a number of roadtrippers together. It is as safe as anything else in life. Got to use good judgment and not exceed personal thresholds of safety.

Mark

Hallo Sara...

You thinking about travel alone??? Will you travel soon or dosen't you now when you go...
    Me and my friend are going to U.S for 8 months next year, maybe in oktober...You can travel with us if you want, but the you will have to wait until oktober, is that ok?

Bye...

Hi Sara, I am a young adult female girl in desperate need of road time and in the same situation as you as far as friends go. I do have commitments however, can easily detach myself from all of them. Only problem is, Im not looking for a two week road trip. I have high hopes to hit the countryside Jack Kerouac style. I have one particular friend who may actually be up for it but seems unsure. It seems no one shares this passion of mine, they all call me dreamer. I wish you the best of luck. If things work out please post an update.

Default women travelling alone

mark - i tried that search but it only yielded a few results. help?

or can we start another thread that specifically addresses the topic of women travelling alone/looking for travel partners.

sara - i have done some road trips alone and have never had a problem. i would suggest doing a little research in advance to get a general feel for areas that might be considered "bad." but remember - chances are there's a "good" town not far away so you can always just drive a little further. the main thing i make myself remember when i travel alone is that "if i lived here, it wouldn't be a big deal for me to be driving around alone." it's easy to spook yourself, but just as easy to put your mind at ease. but having said all that, i still prefer to travel with one other person. and yes, it is hard to get people to go on U.S. road trips. i am often faced with going alone or not going at all. and not going at all is simply not an option for me.

Default Solo Travelers

Anne,

If you click on the red search button on the top of this page, enter the word -- solo -- in the query box and then select all of the topics (click on the top one and then pull down the curser bar and then click shift on your keyboard) you will find 73 threads on this subject. Not all are targeted at solo women travelers, but well over 50 of the threads are.

The topic of folks (whether or not they are women) seeking road trip traveling companions is a permanent topic on this forum -- Move down the page and look at "Share the Gas".

Hope that helps.

M.