Thread: maine coast

justagirl Guest

Default maine coast

i have gotten it into my head to visit maine. i would love to see a small coastal village, perhaps take a ferry to an island(s)?. i'm not interested in tourist activities. rather, i want to walk around town, take black and white pictures of fishing docks, hike and have a drink in a local bar. i've never been anywhere near maine. i tried looking up some things on the internet but i'm looking for the "unknown" rather than the popular tourist places. any suggestions would help.

Default Stonington Harbor

One of our favorite Maine haunts is Deer Isle and the shops and fishing fleet to be found in Stonington Harbor.

hahaha that's funny. i did some hunting online and that is exactly what i came up with.
    Is bangor a good place to fly into and rent a car?

Default Small World

Bangor might be OK, but I suspect the prices will be better in Portland.

When you get to Stonington, be sure and stop in the Purple Fish Shop. It is owned by friends of ours.

cool, will do :)

Default southern maine

I'm from southern Maine and if your looking for a small village type atmosphere you really should visit Ogunquit. The town is about 15 miles over the Maine, NH border. Perkins Cove is extremely great for picture taking, with it's fishing and lobstering boats, and it's draw bridge. Then you can walk from Perkins Cove onto the Marginal Way, which runs along the ocean for a mile and a half. It's a paved walkway which initially takes you over a rocky portion of the Maine coast and finishes at Ogunquit Beach.

Perkins Cove: http://www.chamberworks.com/chamberapps/coc_ogu/images/pics/perkinscove.jpg

Default Nice Photo

Thanks for the posting. Nice photo as well. Are you a local or a visitor to Perkins Cove?

Mark

Default Former Local

I used to be a local. I worked at a popular restaurant in the area through high school and college and have since moved to Boston. I know the southern Maine area and think that the Ogunquit, Kennebunk, and York area has the best beaches, and scenic views, without having to travel hundreds of miles up the Maine coast.

-M

kristy Guest

ogonquit is a great area i have friends who have a house on moody beach in wells just up from there. federal jacks micro brewery in kennebunkport has great food and views (i havent been there in a few years so if any of this is no longer in existance or is horrible i apologize ) the brewerey,restaurant is open year round i believe and in the summer there are other neat shops around it. there is another restaurant near acadia natl park called the pond house i believe that has teh best popovers it is in a beautiful setting but it too might be opend only seasonally i could look into them also the thundering hole is kinda cool too pretty much any of the towns on the coast are beautiful and interesting i used to go up every summer with my friends and never really ran into any areas that were overrun with tourists there are ferries out of bar harbor that are great