1. Default Seattle ---> LA Long Summer 50th Bday Road Trip

Just verifying this trip is not too much craziness. It will be me and my husband and our 15 yr old daughter so trying to include a few things for her as well.

Would love some feedback!! Hope this makes sense:

Leave From Drive Time Stay In
    Thursday 4-Jul Seattle Seattle (Hyatt Downtown)
    Friday 5-Jul Seattle Seattle
    Saturday 6-Jul Seattle Seattle
    Sunday 7-Jul Seattle 3.5 Portland (nines)
    Monday 8-Jul Portland 3 Cannon Beach (Hallmark Inn
    Tuesday 9-Jul Cannon Beach 5.5 Bandon (stop in Tilamook and Rockaway Beach) (Bandon Inn)
    Wednesday 10-Jul Bandon 5 Garberville (via Redwoods stop) (Benbow Inn)
    Thursday 11-Jul Garberville 4 San Fran (been here before so a quick stop for a baseball game) (Ritz)
    Friday 12-Jul San Fran 2.5 Carmel VRBO rental in town
    Saturday 13-Jul Carmel Carmel
    Sunday 14-Jul Carmel Carmel
    Monday 15-Jul Carmel 45 min Carmel
    Tuesday 16-Jul Carmel 2.5 Cambria
    Wednesday 17-Jul Cambria 2+40+1.25 Los Angeles (my actual birthday so celebrating at Cambria Landing - unless other suggestions for lodging)
    Thursday 18-Jul Los Angeles Los Angeles VRBO rental
    Friday 19-Jul Los Angeles Los Angeles
    Saturday 20-Jul Los Angeles Los Angeles
    Sunday 21-Jul Los Angeles Home!

Default Looks relaxed, but don't underestimate the beauty of the coast

Hi and welcome back to the RTA forums

No not too much craziness, it's actually quite relaxed, maybe too relaxed for me to be honest, but if you are happy with it, it's all that matters. I would miss not going to Olympic NP! Expect the travel times to be longer than you think, there are many great viewpoints and diversions that could grab your attention ! Some great beaches and Redwood drives can be enjoyed with small detours such as the Newton B Drury scenic parkway and the Avenue of the Giants drives. A detour to the Marin headlands for spectacular views of the Bay and Golden gate bridge is also recommended.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-16-2024 at 06:42 PM. Reason: added links to the RTA articles

Default Looking for Something Else?

Dave has given you an accurate assessment of your driving plans and Mark linked to a couple of articles about possible stops along the way. We can always make more suggestions, but we would need to know a bit more about what kind of roads and/or stops you would like to include on your trip.

AZBuck

4. Default Thanks

Thanks for the extra stop I am def hoping to add the Avenue of the Giants - looks awesome. Traveling with our youngest daughter (15) means I have to be sensitive about time in the car each day vs time out of the car. So anything we can do that's fun (teen friendly - kind of why we're going to Portland at all vs Olympic as she likes hiking but not an entirely hiking trip). I love art/crafted things and nature and we all LOVE the ocean so we're trying to do as much as we can that appeals to all of us. Any recommendations on the way are welcome. That's sort of the slow nature here so we can get out and explore as it whims.

Also, We are planning on staying in Garberville at the Benbow Inn after that Redwoods day (even though Trinidad was the recommended stop but they require a 2-night stay) hopefully that was a good chase. And would love any recommendation of a place in Brandon that fits 3 and is super clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Hi and welcome back to the RTA forums

No not too much craziness, it's actually quite relaxed, maybe too relaxed for me to be honest, but if you are happy with it, it's all that matters. I would miss not going to Olympic NP! Expect the travel times to be longer than you think, there are many great viewpoints and diversions that could grab your attention ! Some great beaches and Redwood drives can be enjoyed with small detours such as the Newton B Drury scenic parkway and the Avenue of the Giants drives. A detour to the Marin headlands for spectacular views of the Bay and Golden gate bridge is also recommended.

5. Default

Thanks for the reply - we are traveling with our 15 year old daughter so that's the thought process for stops/starts and slow pace. We dedf plan on adding Ave of the Giants. Would love any teen friendly stops (shopping, pop culture etc) and for us (two 50 year olds) we love art, crafts, ocean, nature (but no time for Olympic unfortunately on this trip) and cute little boutiques. We all love coffee!! and we are Vegan if there are any fun vegan stops along the way.

Thank you!

Default Short Hikes

No time for Olympic? That's a shame, as there are some great places to do short hikes in that park. I think we did four or five on our trip. I was going to suggest some of them.

In Seattle, your teen might enjoy the Space Needle (you will, too), Pike Place Market, or the Museum of Pop Culture. If you've the time, try one of the ferries out to the islands -- friends of mine rave about using them to go see their son on Bainbridge Island.

In Redwoods NP & SP's, there are lots of short hikes in old-growth forest, check out this link!

Donna

7. Default

Your schedule seems very strong. It is wonderful you are adding activities for your daughter. In Seattle, it is good to see the Space Needle and also Pike Place Market. In Portland, you should go to Oregon Zoo or look at art in the Portland Art Museum. Cannon Beach has very nice views, and it is important to visit Tillamook for cheese and ice cream. The Redwoods look amazing, and Bandon is famous for its attractive landscapes and beaches. San Francisco has many activities, even if you are there for a short time. When in Carmel, it is essential to go on the 17-Mile Drive and take some time to look at the art galleries and stores. For the celebration of your birthday, Cambria is a beautiful place, and it's possible to go see Hearst Castle. Have a good journey!

8. Default A day in the Redwoods

Hi,

I am traveling the W coast for 2.5 weeks with a stop in Bandon OR as my halfway point between Cannon Beach and Redwoods. Then spending a day in the Redwoods before collapsing for the night in Garberville. So given that we are 2 50ish year olds and a 15 year old where would you suggest we stop in the Redwoods on that route for a nice hike (not too long 1 hour or less) and a drive through some scenic areas. It's Redwoods Lite, I realize. But, still a taste (and we've been to Muir Woods in the past)...Thank you!
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 05-09-2024 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Merged threads.

The Lady Bird Johnson Trail is pretty short and easy and was one of my favorite stops at Redwood National Park.