Hybrid View

Default Google Maps™ Time Calculations

I had always been curious as to how accurate Google Maps™ was in its suggested travel times. Naturally the algorithms it uses for this purpose are considered proprietary information and thus not available. My best guess was always that they just looked at the route, assumed that you were going to be travelling at the speed limit and computed the time.

It turns out to be a bit more complicated than that, but not much. One good thing Google Maps™ does is to use both historical as well as real-time data, road closures and traffic density mostly, to make adjustments to the basic calculation. So you might want to check again just before you leave.

Of course such calculations cannot take into account your personal driving habits or luck. If you're going to be off-Interstate for part of your journey, you'll have to make some adjustment for traffic lights and stop signs. If you're going slower than the speed limit on a fairly consistent basis, you'll have to factor that in as well. If you're on a long enough drive to require stops, you'll have to add those stop times in too.

I certainly agree with Dave that you should allow more time than Google Maps™ suggests. My personal guess, given your travel style, would be to add one to one-and-a-half hours each day to whatever Google Maps™ comes up with.

AZBuck

2. Default

I would suggest choosing Option B because it appears to provide a more even schedule with less time spent driving, which should be better when traveling with children. When you visit Grand Teton, think about staying at Colter Bay Campground; it is good for families and the views are very beautiful. When you travel from West Glacier to North Yellowstone, it might be good to stay in Missoula on the way. This town is pleasant and has places that are suitable for families. While returning to Calgary, consider visiting Waterton Lakes National Park; it is very beautiful and has excellent hiking trails that are appropriate for children. Have a pleasant journey!

Default From West Glacier to Gardiner

The 'obvious' route that most software will probably recommend is simply US-93 to Missoula, I-90 to Livingston, and US-89 to Gardiner. However, the route is well short of 400 miles which means that you'll have a little time to take a slightly more scenic route and get away from the truck traffic on the Interstate. What I'd suggest is US-2 to Evergreen, MT 206/MT-35 to Bigfork, MT-83 to Clearwater, MT-200/MT-141 to Avon, US-12 through Helena, to US-89 south to Gardiner. Helena would be roughly halfway, but with the RV you should look at Cromwell Dixon Campground.

AZBuck