Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default San Diego to Minneapolis in April

Good morning, I will be moving my family from San Diego to Minneapolis in April. Since I have only made this trip in July using the Northern route, I was wondering if the Southern route to I-35 would be safer and easier. We will be driving a Toyota Rav4 and a Ford F150, 3 adults and 3 small dogs, we will have 5-6 days for the trip. We are planning on stopping each night and making many stops for the dogs along the way. Thank you for any advice!

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

When it comes to safety, the choice of route is usually very low on the list of concern. Even in the dead of winter, the oft-repeated advice of "go south" can actually be a fools errand, especially if a southern route would had hundreds of miles to the drive.

But in your case, by the time you get to April, the chance of winter weather in all but the highest elevation spots is fairly low. More importantly, you've got 5 or 6 days, which is a very nice amount of time to make this trip comfortably on almost any route.

Since you're traveling with 2 cars, I'd try to stick to the interstates, just because I think that will make things a lot easier - you won't have to worry about getting split up with traffic lights or other cars or missing turns. So for example, if you decided to take I-40 across Arizona, I would not follow the US-54 route across Kansas that google often suggests.

Beyond that, I would take the route that looks most interesting to you.

Midwest Michael, thank you for your response, I agree, and the northern route will be much more scenic, and we are very familiar with I-15 and somewhat with I-70. Once again Thank you!

Weather might be a concern on I-70 across the Rockies. If it looks bad, you can always stay on I-15 to I-90 to I-94.

Default A Useful Resource

If you're travelling along the Interstates with pets who need 'walking', this list should prove useful.

AZBuck

Default Tips for a slightly easier move

As one who moved out of the San Diego area about 2-1/2 years ago (to central MO), also in two vehicles, here's a tip or two:

It's much easier to communicate between the two vehicles with a set of family radios, if you can, unless both vehicles are set up for hands-free driving including the dialing. As long as you are within a half-mile of each other, family radios communicate easily.

Have your overnight stop agreed upon (and perhaps even reserved) ahead of time. You didn't mention towing a U-Haul type trailer, but if you are, reserving a place that states "truck parking" is very helpful. If that's the case, don't plan on arriving at the lodging late, as the truck parking may be minimal.

Also if you're towing, a place with a restaurant within walking distance is very helpful. You don't want to have to find a restaurant with truck parking (probably a truck stop). Many lodging places have a continental breakfast these days, so I'm talking mostly about dinner. Also if you're towing, using toll roads (like I-35 in KS) will cost you more.

BTW, I'm in agreement with GLC -- Rt 54/400 through KS is still full of construction spots. Bear that in mind. If taking I-15/40, you can also route up I-44/49/435/35. You don't have to use 54 -- we didn't.

This is our experience moving in two vehicles across the US.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    Also if you're towing, a place with a restaurant within walking distance is very helpful. You don't want to have to find a restaurant with truck parking (probably a truck stop). Many lodging places have a continental breakfast these days, so I'm talking mostly about dinner.

Donna
    Though the towing vehicle (even if there is one) might not be an issue, since it says 3 adults and mentions the Rav4 and truck, so unless both were towing something, the one without anything being towed could be used to get to a restaurant if needed for just 3 people?

Default That depends on....

since it says 3 adults and mentions the Rav4 and truck, so unless both were towing something, the one without anything being towed could be used to get to a restaurant if needed for just 3 people?
    ...how crammed the other vehicle is. When we moved our kids to Colorado (out of San Diego), there were 4 in their vehicle and no room for any more because they had stuff in there. They crammed their U-Haul truck and the vehicle on the auto transport, to FULL. You don't want to move the towed vehicle off the AT en route, because it's not easy (and very time-consuming) to get it securely back on that trailer. We were lucky that there was a restaurant with truck parking, but not close enough to walk, that wasn't a Denny's or truck stop.

Here's that move (San Diego to Denver area) in more detail.
    Last edited by DonnaR57; 01-13-2024 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Added info & link

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    ...how crammed the other vehicle is. When we moved our kids to Colorado (out of San Diego), there were 4 in their vehicle and no room for any more because they had stuff in there. They crammed their U-Haul truck and the vehicle on the auto transport, to FULL. You don't want to move the towed vehicle off the AT en route, because it's not easy (and very time-consuming) to get it securely back on that trailer. We were lucky that there was a restaurant with truck parking, but not close enough to walk, that wasn't a Denny's or truck stop.
    This post said driving both vehicles, thus neither is on any kind of tow vehicle like you mention.

All we don't know is if one (or both) vehicles have something to pull, but it seems if there was just one item being towed the truck would be the more likely candidate.

Alternatively, use the back seat (or part of it) of the other to put luggage in (that would be taken out at the lodging stop, thus making room for a 3rd person in the back to go somewhere if needed for dinner or whatever).

Default You're right....

This post said driving both vehicles, thus neither is on any kind of tow vehicle like you mentioned.
    ...they did not mention towing anything. However, since this move isn't for another 3 months, they may decide they're going to have to tow a small U-Haul trailer. So call it things to think about before that decision comes up. Originally, we weren't going to tow anything either, on our move from CA to MO.

Donna