Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Default 29 Palms Inn

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    I believe Mark knows about a nice place to stay in the 29 Palms area, I forget what it's called.
    Yep, it is a favorite of several roadtrippers. It is the 29 Palms Inn and here is an article that Megan wrote about it.

And one that Peter Thody wrote in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    Yep, it is a favorite of several roadtrippers. It is the 29 Palms Inn and here is an article that Megan wrote about it.

And one that Peter Thody wrote in 2011.
    https://29palmsinn.com

Thank you all for the tips. That advice on the route is helpful indeed and I will check out the hotel, tjanks.

The temperatures in DV whilst we are there are forecast to be 30 to 32 which is one of the reasons that we have elected to spend some more time there. It is unfortunate as the kids were set on feeling real heat but, at the same time it does give us the ability to explore a little more than expected!

Default May need a new plan

Quote Originally Posted by UKCraig View Post
    Tues 22nd - Day 15
    Bodie State Park
    Drive in to Death Valley National Park (+/- 4 hours)
    Badwater Basin
    Sunset Zabriskie Point
    Overnight accommodation booked: Furnace Creek Ranch Cabin

Weds 23rd - Day 16
    Explore Death Valley National Park
    Overnight accommodation booked: Furnace Creek Ranch Cabin
    Craig, I don't know if you are checking in -- but storm damage in Death Valley has closed some of the roads.

As of August 20th at 2:00PM, Death Valley National Park including State Road 190 are closed due to impacts from Hurricane Hilary

Most of the areas that you were planning on visiting have storm damage.
    Check here for more news.

Megan and I were supposed to be on the road right now in Utah -- but we decided to stay closer to Southern Nevada. If you need some alternatives-- call me.

----------------

August 22nd Road updates from Death Valley:
    CLOSED:

Westside Road
    Upper Wildrose Road (above the Charcoal Kilns)
    Twenty Mule Team Canyon
    Keane Wonder Mine
    Saline Valley Road - Signed closed by Inyo County. This road was impacted by flood damage.
    Hunter Mountain - Signed closed by Inyo County. This road was impacted by flood damage.
    Salt Creek Road - Flooding destroyed the boardwalk, toilet and parking area. No timeline for reopening.
    Titus Canyon Road - Flooding destroyed the road.
    Steel Pass - Extensive flood damage. No timeline for reopening.
    Grotto Canyon - Partially open. Road open to where it drops from alluvial fan into the wash (about one mile before the normal trailhead.)
    Cottonwood/Marble Canyons - Due to flood damage
    Lemoigne Canyon - Due to flood damage
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-22-2023 at 12:29 PM.

Yep just picking that up as have been in Yosemite for a bit. Just picked up signal and about to head up Tioga Pass . Visitkng Bodie this afternoon and then staying there fkr the night. Plan was then two nights in Death Valley before a bight in Joshua Tree on Thursday and San Bernadino Friday. Not entirely set on those if we are not going to DV so any ideas anyone has for a reroute would be welcome!

Default your timing might be perfect...

Howdy Craig,

These were the rain reports posted this morning:

"As of 9 p.m. PT Stovepipe Wells 2.41” since 4 a.m. (Sunday) with an incredible .73” of this in just the past ONE HOUR (8-9 p.m.).

Badwater at 1.79” during the same period.

Furnace Creek at 1.55” so far today.

usually rainfall in these places is measured in "trace amounts" if any. So, the roads are no-doubt going to impacted.

There is still some local flooding going on in the Spring Mountains just west of downtown Las Vegas.

Valley of Fire State Park is pretty awesome and I haven't heard of any damage.

If you stay overnight in Las Vegas we could go for a hike in Red Rock Canyon.

I believe the 29 Palms area was hit hard too.

It is going to start drying out and your timing might be perfect -- mostly you need to get on the phone and see if those lodging locations will still be available,

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-21-2023 at 02:36 PM. Reason: typo

You are going to have some problems. US-395 and CA-127 are closed due to flooding. The Mojave Preserve is closed, as is Joshua Tree. I would recommend you head for Las Vegas tomorrow and see what reopens.

Take CA-120 east out of Lee Vining to US-6 east to Tonopah, then US-95 south to LV.

EDIT: I see Mark posted while I was posting - yes, go to Las Vegas.

Default Tonopah has some cool stuff

Quote Originally Posted by UKCraig View Post
    Yep just picking that up as have been in Yosemite for a bit. Just picked up signal and about to head up Tioga Pass .
    Sheesh, what was the road like to Bodie today? I would think it was sketchy at best. How was Tioga Pass?

Tonopah has some cool stuff and the roads are open.

The lower road to Bristlecone was open last week -- that would be awesome if it is still open.

Mark

Default i don't see the park opening any time soon.

Damage to DV is looking pretty significant.

i don't see the park opening any time soon.

Here are the paved roads that are closed.

State Route 190 (access to Furnace Creek, Stovepipe Wells)
    Badwater Road (access to Badwater Basin, Artists Drive, Devils Golfcourse, Natural Bridge, Golden Canyon)
    North Highway (Scotty's Castle Rd) (access to Ubehebe Crater)
    Bonnie Clare Road and Scotty’s Castle due to flood recovery work . Unlikely to open before late 2025.

Load this page: [https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/conditions.htm and scroll down to see the closed paged roads

Thanks for all the tips and pointers, folks. I spoke with the people at Furnace Creek yesterday and they are going to arrange a refund as they say they expect it to be weeks before they can reopen. Bad news is I don’t have the card that I used to pay for that reservation so who knows when I will see that money again. Anyway, it is what it is.

I have been unable to reach the people at Joshua Tree so far (the kids chose a place which rents out Airstream caravans as it sounded fun) but I think we have until 4pm today to cancel anyway even without speaking to them if we choose.

For now we are going to spend an extra day at Virginia Creek as the kids like it here and figure it out from here. We didn’t get to Bodie yesterday as we pretty much spent the entire day getting here from Yosemite so we will give that a go this morning (although there was very heavy rain in the night so I am not holding out great hope for the road in which wasn’t great last time I went there)