Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Live in SW England, Work in Europe & the USA where I also travel.

I took a look at the prices earlier in the year as I would have loved to attend this race.
    In the end it was cheaper to fly to Monza and watch from the Temple of Speed.

I imagine the spectacle of F1 in LV will be on another level though, looking forward to the TV coverage.

Default Not long to wait!

Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post
    I took a look at the prices earlier in the year as I would have loved to attend this race.
    In the end it was cheaper to fly to Monza and watch from the Temple of Speed.

I imagine the spectacle of F1 in LV will be on another level though, looking forward to the TV coverage.
    Yeah it's a shame the prices are so high but I have no doubt they will sell them. Vegas and F1 coming together is an exciting prospect and I agree, a spectacle on a whole new level! They are expecting the average race lap speed to be similar to Monza, which I believe is close to 150mph! 50 laps and approx 190 miles through the streets of Vegas. WOW! I just hope we get some good racing with overtaking and not just a proccession of cars going fast, it certainly looks promising and I can't wait to watch it.

Under 2 weeks to go now before it all kicks off.

Dave.

Saw a posting somewhere today that many of the hotels have dropped their rates quite a bit due to rooms not being taken for the event. Some were then trying to rebook, but others were locked in to a higher price and not so happy about that.

Default Just read the same!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    Saw a posting somewhere today that many of the hotels have dropped their rates quite a bit due to rooms not being taken for the event. Some were then trying to rebook, but others were locked in to a higher price and not so happy about that.
    Yes, I was just reading about that as well, there are going to be some disgruntled customers for sure. Vegas must be one of few places in the world (if not the only) where the number of hotel rooms outnumber demand for such a massive event.

Dave

Default some of the hotel room rates have dropped a bit.

It is true that some of the hotel room rates have dropped a bit. But the other reality is that some of the Strip hotels are 100% booked for the weekend.

The local paper is reporting that:
    four Caesars Entertainment properties have fallen as much as 75 percent leading up to race weekend Nov. 16-18., since first posted in November 2022.
    Paris Las Vegas is sold-out, no more rooms available for the weekend.
    but the last known rate for four days was $1513.

The four day stay at the following hotels are now listed at:

The Linq was at $2694 in November --> Now at $778.58

Planet Hollywood was at $4336 in November -- now is at $1083

Caesars Palace was at $5232 in November -- now at $2182

So, yes, there has been some dropping of the rates -- but I expect all of the seats will be fully full.

Mark

I tried to drive the route yesterday -- but too slow going.

Will give it another whirl this weekend and will post photos.

Mark

Mark.

Yeah that would be pretty cool! Have you considered hiding in a strategically placed dumpster ? You'd probably need to get in situation at least 4 days before the race so get stocked with supplies. Haha

Dave

Default Photos coming tomorrow.

Yeah, that would be a crazy notion.

Photos coming tomorrow.

Mark

Default F1 Racecourse -- Photo Spread #1

All photos by Megan Edwards, captured from the car on November 11th at about 7 am PST.

Parts of the course can't be driven by mere mortals, but here are some photos from the line of march of this race course.

This is the start of the new pits facility and the start finish line

This isn't part of the course, per se, but they built a new bridge the goes over the race course at Flamingo and Koval

The race course is basically traveling north on Koval here -- (right in front of us) and we'll turn north to follow it.

The race course is off to our left -- but you can see some of the brand new sky boxes built along Koval Road. In about 3 seconds the cars will turn right (east) on a new access road that drives around the Sphere.

Another view on Koval looking north -- notice the Sphere on the right. This is the corner of Koval Road and Winnick.

At this corner the race cars turn east (right) and race around a brand new road around the Sphere, eventually rejoining the roadway on Sands Blvd.

Have to imagine that you've seen the cars exit the Sphere road and are now going west on Sands Blvd. Now west-bound heading for the Strip.

Roaring past the Palazzo, west-bound on Sands about 2 seconds from the Strip.

Still going west-bound. Palazzo on the left, Wynn Hotel on right. And you can see the "Cloud" at the Fashion Show Mall at the Strip.

Slowing down (slightly) for the left-hand turn from Sands to the Las Vegas Strip

More photos on next post...
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 11-13-2023 at 07:14 AM.

Default Part II of the F1 Race course

Continuing our "roadtrip" down the F1 Course... (Scroll up to see the course in the complete order)

Hard, braking left-hand turn from Sands Blvd to Las Vegas Blvd. After the left-turn will be going south on the Strip.

What race car drivers will have to avoid when they make that turn onto the Strip.

Speeding up now as cars zoom south on the Strip. Palazzo on left and TI on the right.

Getting closer to maximum speed passing the Cromwell on the left and Caesars Palace on the right.

Really flying now as they pass Paris on the left and the Bellagio Sky Boxes on the right

Zooming past Aria Hotel southbound, getting ready for the left-hand turn (east) onto Harmon.

Left-hand turn from the Strip onto Harmon -- looking at the Polo Towers.

Here is a better view of that sweeping left-hand turn onto Harmon from Las Vegas Blvd. There are two cars turning left just as the race cars will be doing.

Tight corner exiting Las Vegas Blvd onto Harmon the track goes around the light island to the right of the frame.

Ramping up speed again going east on Harmon heading for the pits/ start and finish lines

Another view heading east on Harmon

Nearing the pits and start finish line -- that is Top Golf on the right

And then we are back at the Start/Finish Line.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

One more bonus image: -- This is on Las Vegas Blvd looking north at the Harmon turn -- just to see some of the work done to get ready for this.

I hope you enjoyed this little road trip!
    If you would like to see the entire trip in one post go here.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 11-15-2023 at 09:33 AM. Reason: added another photo to clarify the Harmon turn