Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

The Subaru Ascent is the largest Subaru vehicle. It's a 3 row SUV, officially considered a midsize. AWD is standard on all Subarus, there are other AWD's available in that size class.

Oops, I apologize for the poor spelling. I wasn't sure and didn't take the time to look it up.

No matter, my daughter and her family love that vehicle. It's predecessor was a different mid-size SUV, but they needed the AWD in slippery-roadsville-Colorado. I loved both of our Subarus - we had a 1979 sedan and a 1986 sedan that we had until 2002. (We still have the Pontiac that replaced that 1986.)

Donna

3. Default

Before making a final decision, be sure to test drive a few options to see which one feels most comfortable to you. Additionally, consider factors such as fuel efficiency, cargo space, and the availability of advanced safety features. Safe travels on your road trips, and I hope you find the perfect retirement location for you and your wife!

I will be driving my 2019 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid back to Los Angeles next month. It's a very comfortable full size sedan that gets over 600 miles per tank. I just put on new tires today and it feels a lot better handling than it did this morning. Not the ultimate vehicle for road tripping if you have a lot of stuff (rear seats do fold down) but otherwise it's got lots of tech I need/love especially my number one favorite road trip tool - intelligent cruise control.

5. Default

If you are looking for great fuel economy Hyundai Tucson Hybrid is a good option. It gives up to 38 mpg on the highway

Welcome to the RTA Forum, davwilll!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I will say, that while that car may get good fuel economy, I personally would never recommend a Hyundai or a Kia. They've always had an issue of questionable reliability, but at this point, the theft issue can't be ignored. Many models are so easy to steal that several insurance companies outright refuse to issue policies for them. Even for the models that have had the immobilizer installed, making them harder to steal, are still targets of thieves who will break into them, and rip apart the dashboard before realizing it's not one of the models that can be started with a USB drive and giving up.

Default Ascent: recommended!

I had forgotten about this thread. For the record, hubby and I now own a Subaru Ascent, which comes in various models depending on what you want in the car. Ours happens to have all the bells & whistles, the Touring Edition, and we had no issues insuring it. We've taken it on some short hops, and a longer hop down to TX, but our road trip vehicle for really long hauls during better-weather-seasons is still our old pickup truck with the shell.

I'd recommend calling your insurance company and talking to them about any vehicle that you are seriously considering. That way you don't run into any surprises, like "we don't insure that vehicle", or "that one will be a lot pricier than the car it's replacing", etc.

Of course, the OP may have already bought his/her car, but as was proven, old threads pop up once in awhile with new viewers asking the same questions.

Donna

8. Default

I'd buy a used minivan and fill it with all that I need. Comfortable, solid highway MPG, cheap to run, and plenty of storage/sleeping space. I had a 2000 Honda Odyssey that I drove on multiple road trips. Took them all like a champ. And last year, my family and I drove from DC to Illinois and back in a rented Dodge Grand Caravan. We had 5 people inside both ways, and on the way back, every inch of free cargo space that wasn't taken up by people was loaded with stuff (not an exaggeration). Still had no trouble whatsoever.
    Last edited by AZBuck; 02-11-2024 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Edited for content