Having had to abandon plan A, there was not much enthusiasm left in me for plan B. But when I got to see the forecasts for the various regions of Alaska, I came to the realisation that plan B would have to be abandoned as well. The places I had not been, and wanted to visit were all on unsealed roads. In such inclement weather it was not going to be enjoyable to venture out on any of them.
I had not bothered about a plan C, but a visit to the visitor centre soon took care of that. There are two visitor centres in Anchorage, one being the Anchorage visitor centre and the other being the public lands office - in a government building across the road, complete with security and all. As it was it was the latter in which I found myself first.
Discussing my disappointments and options with the very helpful amd knowledgable staff, I said, where I really would like to go is Dutch Harbour. Not sure what made me say this, as I had not considered it before. But I was surprised - nay, I was staggrered - to hear them say that that was possible and quite popular. In fact the cabins on the ferries were all booked up, some months ahead.
I went back to the Sheep Creek RV in park in Anchorage, where I had made myuself comfortable, thought about it, did a little research and talked about it. Slowly it fell into place. The next ferry was not due for a couple of days, and the office to book in person and ask questions would not open until an hour before the ferry was due to come in. It would be five hours or more before it departed again.
Meanwhile a visit to the Anchorage city visitor centre alerted me to other ideas, (as did the visit to the visitor centre in Homer). The drive down to Homer is in places an extremely scenic drive, especially if you take some of the diversions through the smaller towns, off the highway. But this time it was pouring rain the whole way, The volcanos were barely visible. The road was busier than I recall from last time, and wildlife was nowhere to be seen.